• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Alberta

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Febrezeefresh - Posted March 21 2014 - 8:26 PM

Febrezeefresh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

I'm new to keeping ants and forums of any kind :)  I am currently building something like the old Uncle Milton ant arms only bigger. I like watching the tunnel building. So I am looking for advice on everything! 

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 21 2014 - 8:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :D One of the mods here (Crystals) is from Alberta as well. I'm sure you two will have a lot in common in this hobby.

#3 Offline Matt - Posted March 22 2014 - 1:46 AM

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrance

Welcome here! :)

#4 Offline Servercheck - Posted March 22 2014 - 5:00 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia

Welcome to the forum!

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted March 22 2014 - 6:57 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

I am from Athabasca, AB.  Which town are you from?

It is while before the wild ants start moving around in Alberta.  Some queens start flying in May, so it isn't too long to wait.  :D

If you haven't read it yet, the Ant keeping guide is a good read for those just getting into ants - http://forum.formicu...-for-beginners/

If you like seeing pictures, the formicarium picture thread could be interesting - http://forum.formicu...-and-outworlds/

If you are going for tunnel building, keep in mind that perlite (white puffy stuff) won't work for more than a month or so.  If you want to see tunnels, Antscanada.com has a special sand for it.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline Febrezeefresh - Posted March 22 2014 - 7:34 PM

Febrezeefresh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I am all the way down in Lethbridge, and I am ready for winter to end! I don't think I am ready for a full colony of ants, and might just stick to collecting worker ants from outside.
I couldn't find any sand on Antscanada website, maybe I am looking in the wrong places? 
Since I am doing a vertical habitat there will be space between the substrate and the top, would that be a sufficient outworld, or do you guys still recommend attaching a seperate outworld?

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted March 23 2014 - 6:31 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Hmm... AntsCanada seems to have removed it from their site.

Mixing sand with clay makes a more stable mix, less prone to collapses.  You will have to keep it slightly damp (if you see any condensation, then it is fine).  It is easier to completely dry out the clay and sand, grind the clay up until it is sand sized.  Mix the clay and sand together, add them to the farm and then add water.

Workers can be interesting to watch dig.  If there is no queen or brood they probably won't do much after digging a safety tunnel.  Workers are a good start to ant keeping though, and a way to keep impatieence away as you wait for a newly caught queen to raise her first workers.

If you just want workers, find a large ant nest and collect workers only from it.  Workers from different nests will fight.

A seperate outworld will make it much easier to feed and clean up after your ants.  I like to have a waterer full of sugar water or hummingbird nectar for the ants in their outworld (http://forum.formicu...-liquid-feeder/).

PS. The first queen flights start in May  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted March 27 2014 - 7:43 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Welcome! I know the feeling of wanting winter to end ... I live just across the border south of Winnipeg. Still very cold and snowy here. No ants in sight. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users