• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Finding Pheidole pilifera

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Salmon - Posted July 4 2016 - 5:28 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
While I was observing the P. pilifera today, I think I found a colony of Tetramorium tsushime... Slightly smaller than pavement ants and many of the workers have lighter brown coloration on their heads and thoraxes. Have they been recorded in Massachusetts?

#22 Offline LC3 - Posted July 4 2016 - 5:30 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Interesting, do you have any pictures?

#23 Offline Salmon - Posted July 5 2016 - 8:37 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
I'll take some this afternoon

#24 Offline Salmon - Posted July 5 2016 - 2:51 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Normally it looks like about a fourth of the workers are pale and bicolored, but for some reason when I put food next to their nest the overwhelming majority that emerge out are normal dark workers. This is a bad picture but I circled some of the pale workers:

In addition to (most of) them being smaller than pavement ants, they also seem to have more variation in worker size.

#25 Offline Salmon - Posted July 11 2016 - 4:59 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
The Pheidole are really frustrating me! Yesterday it was rainy all day, and when it stopped I could see alates gathering around the entrance, but they changed their mind when it started raining again. And now it isn't supposed to rain for a long time.

Though I saw my first Polyergus raid this evening. That was pretty spectacular.

#26 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted July 16 2016 - 8:56 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Normally it looks like about a fourth of the workers are pale and bicolored, but for some reason when I put food next to their nest the overwhelming majority that emerge out are normal dark workers. This is a bad picture but I circled some of the pale workers:

In addition to (most of) them being smaller than pavement ants, they also seem to have more variation in worker size.

I think these are just color-morphs in a regular T. caespitum colony / sp. E colony. I've seen them before in some of the colonies I had in my driveway. 

The Pheidole are really frustrating me! Yesterday it was rainy all day, and when it stopped I could see alates gathering around the entrance, but they changed their mind when it started raining again. And now it isn't supposed to rain for a long time.

Though I saw my first Polyergus raid this evening. That was pretty spectacular.

Yep! They like it when it rains once, but not twice when they're preparing for a flight! 

#27 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 18 2016 - 6:20 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

@salmon Today may be an interesting day to watch.  People in PA/NJ on another forum have been reporting they have been flying for about 2 weeks now.  Similar thing happened with the Tetramorium flights where could watch the wave of flights as they moved across the country over a few weeks.  This afternoon we're supposed to have a band of storms go thru...  :)

#28 Offline Salmon - Posted July 18 2016 - 3:08 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
I'm out of town right now unfortunately. Hopefully there'll be more storms.

#29 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 18 2016 - 3:17 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I'm out of town right now unfortunately. Hopefully there'll be more storms.

I went out and nothing yet.  Will go out tonight with a flash light and see.  Storms rolled thru around 2-4pm today, though where we are, not much rain, but some pretty good wind damage.

#30 Offline noebl1 - Posted July 19 2016 - 3:31 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Went out a couple times last night looking around lights, but no sign of them.  @salmon guessing you haven't missed them yet :)

#31 Offline Salmon - Posted August 4 2016 - 9:35 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
It rained at the right time of day more than once, but no queens. I guess they all flew while I was gone.

#32 Offline Saftron - Posted August 4 2016 - 9:50 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Same, I was walking around looking for Tetra queens and came upon a mini "Tetramorium war" 5 dark Tetramorium workers were fighting with two Light pale coloured Tetramorium? Didn't take any pictures because didn't have my phone on me. 

#33 Offline Loops117 - Posted August 5 2016 - 5:21 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

How's the brood production on these guys? My queen is a month along now, and all of her eggs are still solid white. She's continually laying, and her pile grows every time i check on her.

Any clues?

#34 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 23 2021 - 3:45 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I wish this topic was still alive, I really want to know where I can find pheidole D:

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#35 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 24 2021 - 3:58 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I read over this and I think that when (if) I find a colony I will try the rock and water strategy.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#36 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 28 2021 - 3:24 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I've been looking at the sightings on antwiki and where pheidole pilifera were found, a sighting was pretty close to plymouth, and I'm going near there this summer anyway, so I might as well pack some test tubes with me.

#37 Offline Chickalo - Posted April 29 2021 - 4:11 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

I actually might try that trick to get some hosts for Lasius.  If I do that to catch a colony I'll make a ton of them to get as many workers and brood as possible.

シグナチャーです。예.

#38 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 14 2022 - 10:18 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I actually might try that trick to get some hosts for Lasius.  If I do that to catch a colony I'll make a ton of them to get as many workers and brood as possible.

Any luck? I actually did that trick with some debris and actually managed to change the "pathways" in a lasius nest. No brood unfortunately.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#39 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 14 2022 - 10:32 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Any luck? I actually did that trick with some debris and actually managed to change the "pathways" in a lasius nest. No brood unfortunately.

Last summer:  No, but I'm going to find a secluded place in the woods this year instead of my backyard.

シグナチャーです。예.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users