• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants finding new homes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bern - Posted February 5 2022 - 6:44 PM

Bern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho, USA

I have found several what I think are ant mounds. Since it is still quite cold, there are still patches of snow around, so there is no activity yet. Once summer comes, I will be monitoring some of these areas and hopefully will catch them when they start their flights. I know its several weeks yet, but since I do quite a bit of walking, I try to keep my eyes open and spot them at times.

When the queens go into their nuptial flight, I’m curious about some of the activity. Once they leave their nest and go into their flights, about how long before they come back down? Does this ritual take minutes, an hour, several hours, or ???? Do they go a long distance like several hundreds of yards and more, or is it a hundred feet and less? I’m guessing every case is different due to wind, species, and other things. I’m curious about is there sort of a common or normal distance this takes place in.

Ya I know, curiosity killed the cat.

Since I find these little guys interesting, some of these silly questions come up from time to time.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 6 2022 - 3:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The answers to your questions depend heavily on what species the ants are. Keep in mind that there are a lot of unknown things about even common species.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Bern - Posted February 6 2022 - 2:56 PM

Bern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho, USA

Ya, ANTdrew, sort of what I figured.     Just thought that someone, like yourself, might have a gut feel on this 

Thanks

#4 Offline Malachite - Posted February 28 2022 - 12:36 AM

Malachite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPNW
It's my first year looking for flights and queens. So I also have many burning question I figure are only learned by years spent in one's own area, observing and researching. I'm so excited to have found my first queen and can't wait to find more even though I fear I'll be waiting a while now!

#5 Offline Bern - Posted March 7 2022 - 9:06 AM

Bern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho, USA

Hi Malachite   ---    You say you have found your first queen.  Good.    When was this,   recently?       Your location of PNW leaves a lot up to guess.  Can you be more specific, and give a better location?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users