• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus navajo Journal [134] (Discontinued)

dspdrew myrmecocystus myrmecocystus navajo journal

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 3 2014 - 7:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-3-2014

I moved the year-old colony out of the foraging container, and put one of the newer ones in instead. The newer one actually seems to be doing better. The best new colony now has 11 workers, 3 cocoons, and a bunch of small larvae. Amazingly, it seems to be doing quite well.

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 20 2014 - 1:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-20-2014

One of the year-old colonies died about a week ago.

I had three of the newer colonies in foraging containers, but one died a week ago. It had a few workers and was doing great 'till the test tube failed and drowned the queen and all but one worker. I put that left-over worker in with one of the worker-less queens, and it wasn't long before they were getting along fine. One of the other colonies in the foraging containers has one worker and a bit of brood. The third and largest one has about 13 workers now, and a pretty good sized pile of brood. As for the queens in test tubes, I have five left, including the remaining year-old colony.

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 30 2014 - 6:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-30-2014

The other year-old colony died off. :(

#24 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 30 2014 - 7:05 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Queen too?

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 31 2014 - 1:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yes. There were a couple workers still alive.

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2015 - 1:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-17-2015

I moved the only other colony with a worker into a foraging container since I have so many extra containers now. This queen has remained stuffed full of byFormica forumula for a while now, and after the move the one worker quickly took advantage of the liquid feeder of humming bird nectar and filled up. Hopefully this colony will do a bit better now.

#27 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 17 2015 - 1:20 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Extra ... containers?

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2015 - 4:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I had 12 of them I was keeping my Acromyrmex in before I made those nests for them.

#29 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 17 2015 - 5:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you have any to sell, well, then I will buy used. :)

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 3 2015 - 9:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
med_gallery_2_137_286997.jpg

Gotta bury the feeder!
  • Miles likes this

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 3 2015 - 8:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-3-2015

I moved the large colony into a byFormica GroTube the other day. They moved into the nest pretty quick, but it took them quite some time to get the queen in there. She's so fat and lazy now that where she ended up after I dumped her out of the test tube was good enough for her; she simply didn't want to move. The nest is pretty wet, so they have since moved all the cocoons out and into the out world, while the queen and the larvae are still inside. This colony is up to 15 workers now, along with 8 cocoons, and 5 larvae.

Here's a little video I made showing how much trouble they had getting the queen to move.

• antmaniac likes this

#32 Offline Miles - Posted March 3 2015 - 9:31 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Is that sand all over her gaster?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 3 2015 - 9:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah there was some sand on her gaster.

#34 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 4 2015 - 12:33 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Look at that queen! She is like a honey pot! I wouldn't have problem retain my queens if they are as chubby as yours. 

Edited by antmaniac, March 4 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#35 Offline kellakk - Posted March 4 2015 - 7:22 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Have they made any repletes yet? It looks kind of like they're using her as one.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#36 Offline dean_k - Posted March 4 2015 - 7:34 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

That is one majorly fat queen. And I feel like the queen's saying to her workers, "I don't give a damn. Leave me alone."

#37 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2015 - 10:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Have they made any repletes yet? It looks kind of like they're using her as one.

One worker is pretty stuffed full of the nectar too.

#38 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 23 2015 - 3:27 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Do they wait for their colony to reach a certain size before making repletes? Do you think the repletes ever get bored or tired? I sure would...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#39 Offline Miles - Posted March 23 2015 - 4:16 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

One worker is pretty stuffed full of the nectar too.

They will use the queen as a replete until they have access to vertical hanging space.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#40 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2015 - 9:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-31-2015

Almost all the cocoons in the largest colony have eclosed now, but at the same time quite a few workers have died, so the worker count is about the same as it was during the last update.

I decided to move this colony into one of my small ant farm boxes. This will allow them to hang repletes from the ceiling like they're supposed to. The only thing I'm worried about is that this colony only has tiny little nanitics, and I'm hoping they'll be able to dig a large enough nest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, myrmecocystus, myrmecocystus navajo, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users