• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My worst fear when I'm out anting here in the foothills of Southern California

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 3 2015 - 2:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

• James C. Trager and ctantkeeper like this

#2 Online gcsnelling - Posted November 3 2015 - 3:35 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

In S. Cal, esp it is people.

• Subverted likes this

#3 Offline klawfran3 - Posted November 3 2015 - 4:23 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

God when he turned and ran for a second, and the cat was like 3x closer, I would have peed myself right then and there.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted November 4 2015 - 7:54 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I wonder if it was a young one, it looks smaller than the ones I see up here.

I am surprised he didn't throw a rock at it, or pick up a big stick and hold it above his head to look bigger.

Cougars, bears, and coyotes are some of the reasons I carry bear spray and an air horn when hiking.  I often carry a sling shot on town walking trails, it usually discourages the occasional aggressive deer or coyote I enounter. 

If I am at my brother's place hiking, I borrow one of his guns as well - it is very remote, and most animals don't know what a human is.  I do not favor my odds with bear spray against a coyote pack 20-40 strong.

So far I have never had an serious issue with wildlife, well, except for one aggressive deer in town.  I have seen bears, coyotes, and the occasional cougar.  Not to mention the hundreds of deer in the area, moose, and other odds and ends.  Most animals avoid me, every bear I have ever seen runs away.  I rounded a corner once and startled a yearling bear so badly it fell 15 feet out of tree and ran off (not sure how it didn't hear me, I had bear bells and music playing). 

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline BrittonLS - Posted November 4 2015 - 10:59 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

I wonder if it was a young one, it looks smaller than the ones I see up here.

I am surprised he didn't throw a rock at it, or pick up a big stick and hold it above his head to look bigger.

Cougars, bears, and coyotes are some of the reasons I carry bear spray and an air horn when hiking.  I often carry a sling shot on town walking trails, it usually discourages the occasional aggressive deer or coyote I enounter. 

If I am at my brother's place hiking, I borrow one of his guns as well - it is very remote, and most animals don't know what a human is.  I do not favor my odds with bear spray against a coyote pack 20-40 strong.

So far I have never had an serious issue with wildlife, well, except for one aggressive deer in town.  I have seen bears, coyotes, and the occasional cougar.  Not to mention the hundreds of deer in the area, moose, and other odds and ends.  Most animals avoid me, every bear I have ever seen runs away.  I rounded a corner once and startled a yearling bear so badly it fell 15 feet out of tree and ran off (not sure how it didn't hear me, I had bear bells and music playing). 

You might be right. Could be why it came so close to him during the day, was young and curious about him. 

Jeez yeah, from what I've seen I think a moose might be the scariest out of all of those personally XP

It's kinda iffy to bend down and pick up a stick or rock, because going down like that could encourage it to come forward. 

And yeah, Drew, that probably SHOULD be your worst fear out there. I hope you're prepared for it?

Edited by BrittonLS, November 4 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#6 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted November 5 2015 - 9:52 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

The fear, but not the biggest one, in my region there are much bears and when u go to forest, u can have on you back the bear and u cannot even see it :))And the only thing you can do it is to stay and see the bear intention if come so close u run :)) if not u wait untill leave then go home ;))

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2015 - 10:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Well a knife I guess is your best defense if you get attacked, but to try to avoid being attacked--which is not as easy with these considering they normally stalk their prey--I carry bear spray, an air horn and a flare. From what I have read, a flare will scare them pretty good. I need to get a Ka-Bar too.

#8 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted November 5 2015 - 12:06 PM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

Yep, when its only 1 but when there is a "little family of bears" you cannot do like nothing.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2015 - 12:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well bear spray is probably best for bears (obviously), because with bears you will typically see them before they become a problem. You won't see a mountain lion before it attacks you unless you're lucky.

#10 Offline BrittonLS - Posted November 5 2015 - 3:30 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
A knife is not going to probably help you if you get attacked unless it's one of those wasp knives(?) The compressed air ones. Making lots of noise 'usually' keeps them away, you could carry a little stereo with you. Either way, going around by yourself, especially at night is somewhere around the worst decision. Lol

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2015 - 3:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I actually read through many threads on lots of different forums about this subject back when I started going anting a lot, and the consensus was that a knife is the best chance you have for survival once you're attacked. This was coming from experienced hikers, hunters, and anyone else with vast knowledge of the outdoors, particularly where mountains lions reside. Of course I would rather not end up in that situation if possible, and that's why aside from a gun, I carry the best tools possible for scaring them away.

#12 Offline Subverted - Posted November 6 2015 - 10:46 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I need to get a Ka-Bar too.

Careful that you obey all of California's laws regarding knives - if your clothing covers a knife in a scabbard on your belt its technically a concealed weapon. For that reason I stick to folding knives with one of the more modern blade locks, I really like the axis lock from Benchmade

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 6 2015 - 10:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Careful that you obey all of California's laws regarding knives - if your clothing covers a knife in a scabbard on your belt its technically a concealed weapon. For that reason I stick to folding knives with one of the more modern blade locks, I really like the axis lock from Benchmade

I know that. It's exactly why I haven't been carrying a gun or a knife when I'm out; I haven't had the time to become a lawyer first. :rolleyes:

#14 Offline BrittonLS - Posted November 9 2015 - 10:04 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I know that. It's exactly why I haven't been carrying a gun or a knife when I'm out; I haven't had the time to become a lawyer first. :rolleyes:

So a knife is your best contingency plan, but you don't carry one? Drew... Lol

And yeah, you want to prevent an attack, not have to survive a fight. So long as you take measures to try to keep them away.

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 9 2015 - 11:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So a knife is your best contingency plan, but you don't carry one? Drew... Lol

And yeah, you want to prevent an attack, not have to survive a fight. So long as you take measures to try to keep them away.

Not yet. Right now I'm just taking my chances, and lowering them with techniques of prevention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users