• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Advice & Feedback Needed: Tower Design for Pogo Queen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PTAntFan - Posted October 15 2015 - 3:23 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I have a Pogonomyrmex queen who was able to rear one worker this summer in original Drewcarium design I spoke about here.  Given the odd nature of that setup and the proliferation of the book lice, I decided to move her and as luck would have it, one day her and her one worker were out and about trying to escape one day.

So, I built this model.  It's more like my Power Tower but is still based on the design that Drew originated.  So, here's DrewCarium Tower (tm, all rights reserved, LOL!):

DrewCarium Tower

My question is basically whether anyone has any strong opinions about the viability of using this design for a Pogonomyrmex queen.  I see the merits as there being plenty of space for her to dig.  Moisture gradient created by Drew's great design, the center is an open chamber where water can be inserted from above and is drawn upwards by the substrate.  foraging area above is separated for easy feeding.

Your thoughts?  Challenges you think I might have?  Thanks.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2015 - 3:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks cool, it's just hard to see exactly what it is.

#3 Offline PTAntFan - Posted October 15 2015 - 5:21 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Yeah, I tried uploading original resolution but file was way too big. I can take better shots.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users