• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Protein proportion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 24 2015 - 4:47 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL
I know that the amount and kind of protein you feed solenopsis determines how many majors they get. I was wondering if this applies to all polymorphic ants. Does anybody have experience controlling the size of ants through the protein given to them?

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#2 Offline Huch - Posted September 24 2015 - 5:16 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
No idea

#3 Offline dermy - Posted September 24 2015 - 9:56 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I know that the amount and kind of protein you feed solenopsis determines how many majors they get. I was wondering if this applies to all polymorphic ants. Does anybody have experience controlling the size of ants through the protein given to them?

All I know for certain is that the more protein available, usually the more eggs the queen will produce and the more brood they will have. More Food= More Growth.

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted September 24 2015 - 11:16 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
I've heard that sometimes the ants simply get smaller instead of reduced numbers but idk.

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted September 25 2015 - 6:09 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

in all polymorphic ant species, the amount of protein given to the female larvae will either restrict or allow the flow of a certain hormone that plays a major role in development. i believe this is serotonin. however more protien does not always equal more majors. supply and demand plays a key role as well, if the colony has very little need for majors and needs many minors, less majors will be produced

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 25 2015 - 6:24 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

in all polymorphic ant species, the amount of protein given to the female larvae will either restrict or allow the flow of a certain hormone that plays a major role in development. i believe this is serotonin. however more protien does not always equal more majors. supply and demand plays a key role as well, if the colony has very little need for majors and needs many minors, less majors will be produced

So how would you have a species like Pheidole produce more majors or have a large need for majors?

• ctantkeeper likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 25 2015 - 8:20 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I have also read (can't remember if it was substantiated by research) that major production may be influenced by outside threats. I can tell you that major and minor production exploded with my Pheidole after regularly feeding them crickets.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#8 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 25 2015 - 12:30 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Thanks Foogoo

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#9 Offline William. T - Posted September 25 2015 - 2:01 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I have also read (can't remember if it was substantiated by research) that major production may be influenced by outside threats. I can tell you that major and minor production exploded with my Pheidole after regularly feeding them crickets.

Pheidole majors fight? From what I seen of the North American type, they cower in times of trouble. Instead they are living saws, cutting up food and materials. The reason the majors may have been increased in production with crickets may be majors are needed to cut up insects.

Edited by William. T, September 25 2015 - 2:01 PM.

• LC3 likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 25 2015 - 2:15 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Pheidole majors fight? From what I seen of the North American type, they cower in times of trouble. Instead they are living saws, cutting up food and materials. The reason the majors may have been increased in production with crickets may be majors are needed to cut up insects.

You're right, that could be it too. I was thinking of Camponotus, which I usually see their nest openings surrounded by majors.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#11 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted September 25 2015 - 2:39 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

So how would you have a species like Pheidole produce more majors or have a large need for majors?

major will be produced if the colony has a need for them, if they are worth exhausting resources on and if the colony even has those resources. my best advice would be to offer insects with high fat content like termites and especially wax worms cut into sections. however, this will only give them the tools to create larger worker castes, but there is no garentee whether they will use it for that purpose. mature colonies are more likley to produce larger workers due to their large amount of scouts and foragers

#12 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 25 2015 - 2:51 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

major will be produced if the colony has a need for them, if they are worth exhausting resources on and if the colony even has those resources. my best advice would be to offer insects with high fat content like termites and especially wax worms cut into sections. however, this will only give them the tools to create larger worker castes, but there is no garentee whether they will use it for that purpose. mature colonies are more likley to produce larger workers due to their large amount of scouts and foragers

Thanks, you said that North American Pheidole Majors don't fight. What Pheidole Majors do fight?

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users