• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New colony!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 28 2014 - 5:32 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

When I went to the beach I found a colony of ants trying to move under a leaf!  I got a tub and put the leaf in there and then they all went crazy!  I probably only got part of it but still managed to get at least 2 queens! I tried to put in what looked like another part of the colony...but I was wrong.blush.gif (They had a small fight but the originals overtake the newbies pretty easy) I still have them in there collection tub and they have moved into a few dried leaves.  I am now back home and will try to make a formicarium soon.  Can you identify them? They are black and move really fast randomly.  They are allowed to have multiple queens, like warm environments, are only a couple millimeters long, found in low elevation, and will nest practically everywhere.  They sort of remind me of crazy ants.  Pics coming soon.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted February 28 2014 - 7:00 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I see your location is Costa Rica, and I am afraid that I am not good at identifying tropical ants.  There are hundreds of species down there.

Can you get pictures?  Close up front and side views would be great, of a worker and possibly of a queen.

Are any of the workers different in size from one another?  Much larger head or body?

An exact measurement would be helpful, even a difference of 1-2mm will help pinpoint your species.

Here are the known species in your area: http://www.antweb.or...e&genCache=true

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Online dspdrew - Posted February 28 2014 - 8:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Following this (http://forum.formicu...t-a-new-thread/) would be the best way to get your ants ID'd.

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 7 2014 - 4:58 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Here's the link to the pics. https://www.dropbox....8ta1/gToywQ3E3Y

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 7 2014 - 4:59 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I'm planing on making a grout formicacium soon.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted March 7 2014 - 7:07 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice.

Not a species I am familiar with, but then again I live in northern Canada.

If I were to catch a glimpse of those in my backyard I would say one of the Formica species.  But I do not see Formica in the Costa Rica ant list.

We would need pretty good close-ups of the ants, with a top and side view.  Even a dead ant will work.

They could be anything from Camponotus or Dolichoderus or Nylanderia, or a number of others.

Questions:

1. size (in mm - even an error of 2 mm is big in IDing ants)

2. were they in that wood when you found them?

3. color

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Online dspdrew - Posted March 7 2014 - 7:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah it's best to read this first. http://forum.formicu...t-a-new-thread/, and try to provide some of this info. With only pictures hardly anyone will be able to help you, even the professionals a lot of times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users