• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is solenopsis photophilic?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 23 2015 - 2:44 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I recently got a colony of Solenopsis xyloni and I've noticed that the workers were attracted to a side of the enclosure that a desk lamp is on. I decided to move the lamp around the enclosure and I noticed that the ants would more or less coagulate on the side it was shining on. I was under the impression that ants were photophobic and would run from light. Has anyone got a reason for this?

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline antmaniac - Posted September 23 2015 - 3:44 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Maybe the heat they felt?

• LC3 likes this

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted September 23 2015 - 4:10 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Makes sense I'm pretty sure S.xyloni are desert ants.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 23 2015 - 4:26 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Absolutely the heat.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline kellakk - Posted September 23 2015 - 4:51 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

They're subterranean and mine don't seem to care much for light.  I would agree with the heat attracting them.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#6 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 23 2015 - 4:55 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Alright that makes much more sense. On a related note are there any ants that are actually attracted to light and not the heat?

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#7 Offline kellakk - Posted September 23 2015 - 5:03 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Well, alates will use the sun or moon for navigation and thus are attracted to lights.  There's also some species where workers use the sun for navigation, such as Cataglyphis spp.  Most ants are either adverse to light or easily startled by it, since that kind of response is good for keeping the colony alive.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#8 Offline William. T - Posted September 23 2015 - 6:23 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

From what I heard, in the desert, the sunlight brings desiccation and death. All desert ants retreat inside the coolness and darkness of their nests. Perhaps it's a genetic things that allows ants to associate light with death. Heat might have been a factor too.

Edited by William. T, September 23 2015 - 6:24 PM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#9 Offline kellakk - Posted September 23 2015 - 6:57 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

From what I heard, in the desert, the sunlight brings desiccation and death. All desert ants retreat inside the coolness and darkness of their nests. Perhaps it's a genetic things that allows ants to associate light with death. Heat might have been a factor too.

As far as biology is concerned, genes are at the heart of all animal morphology and behaviour.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 23 2015 - 8:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Mine have always gathered wherever the heat is.

#11 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 24 2015 - 7:54 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Well, alates will use the sun or moon for navigation and thus are attracted to lights.  There's also some species where workers use the sun for navigation, such as Cataglyphis spp.  Most ants are either adverse to light or easily startled by it, since that kind of response is good for keeping the colony alive.

One thing I never understood about using the sun for navigation is that when the sun moves, how do the ants know it's moved, if they know at all? Lets say you were to take an ant and put a box over it. After waiting a couple hours for the sun to move from the East to the West you take the box off. Would the ant go in the opposite direction it's supposed to now? Doesn't that seem like an issue because the sun is constantly moving?

Edited by klawfran3, September 24 2015 - 7:54 AM.

#12 Offline Pulliamj - Posted September 24 2015 - 8:50 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Well technically the earth is moving :).

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 24 2015 - 9:26 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The ants aren't navigating via the glowing orb of the sun that we see, but rather a combination of electromagnetic, visual, and pheromonal cues—very similar to how birds navigate.  Read up on it.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#14 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 24 2015 - 10:42 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Ahh ok. got any good articles/ papers on it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users