• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Weaver ants queen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline silver tail - Posted September 18 2015 - 1:34 AM

silver tail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Usually queen will beb covered by all the worker ants...it's a rare sightb of Weaver ants queen...

Attached Images

• FB_IMG_1442568910481.jpg

• Canadian anter and T.C. like this

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted September 18 2015 - 2:24 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Interesting. I'm use to seeing the green weaver ant queens in pictures these queens are just as cool as their green counterparts.

#3 Offline silver tail - Posted September 18 2015 - 7:25 AM

silver tail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
The green ones are the young queen. When they are older they turn black

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted September 18 2015 - 5:14 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I thought Oecophylla loginoda has red/orange queens since the species is redish while Oecophylla smaragdina has green/yellow queens since the species is orange and green.

#5 Offline laowai - Posted September 21 2015 - 4:32 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Oecophylla smaragdina is probably erroneously describing both the Asian and Australian types. Realistically the Australian form should be re-classified as it is uniquely different to the rest of the types found in Asia.

Oecophylla loginoda is native to sub-saharan Africa, and is similar in colouring to the Asian type.

Generally the workers show a difference depending on where they come from; the African type is a more brownish colour, while the Asian type is more a red colour, and the Australian type has a green abdomen. 

Also it is impossible to distinguish between the different species by looking at the Queens alone, as either the Asian, African or Australian types, can all be found in quite a large array of colours ranging from browns to greens.

For example, these are two Queens of the Asian Malaysian type, yet they range in colour from brown to green. As you can see this large variety in colour is probably done intentionally; allowing Queens to camouflage on a larger variety of leaf types, therefore increasing the possibility the will successfully evade predation. 

Yes Queens seem to change colour as they age, probably because they no longer need to blend in to the surrounding vegetation to survive. 

Great photo by the way.

Edited by laowai, September 21 2015 - 4:32 AM.

• LC3 likes this

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 21 2015 - 5:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sounds like that was filmed in a jungle.

• LC3 likes this

#7 Offline silver tail - Posted September 22 2015 - 3:59 AM

silver tail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
The 2 in the video are the queen to be

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 8 2016 - 10:39 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Here's an Ant Canada Video of a Green Weaver Ant - 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users