• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Transfer queen from test tubes to test tube.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mannomorth - Posted September 10 2015 - 12:02 PM

Mannomorth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Species: Lasius Niger.

The water in one of my test tubes are running low, and I've beginning to see traces of mold in another so I'm planning to move them, what should I do to encourage the Queens to move to another test tube?

My first idea was to cover the test tube I want them to move to and then tape the old one to the new one (with a small gap for ventilation) and then light a LED on the current one. Will this stress her or should I just tape them together and let her slowly move there by herself?

There is a similar post about this but in this case I've got Queens with eggs and not nanitics. If the procedure is the same, then admin can remove this post.

Manno

Edited by Mannomorth, September 10 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#2 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted September 10 2015 - 2:04 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I'm having the exact same problem:http://www.formicult...ueen-conundrum/

I'm gonna keep an eye on the responses you get. If I get a successful transfer, I'll let you know.
~Dan

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted September 10 2015 - 2:12 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

For queens with eggs, I use a damp toothpick to "swirl" up the eggs and put them in the new tube, then just dump the queen into the new tube.

New queens will not like to move.  In the wild it is suicide, so you will have to force her, and it is likely that she will not take the eggs if she fees.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 10 2015 - 3:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

With Lasius, I've always had success with a compact fluorescent or incandescent bulb placed some distance away from the tube, as this species tends to avoid heat.

LED lights do not give off sufficient heat, and the actual light emission itself may only barely be visible to the ants, so I wouldn't be surprised if an LED would not work.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 10 2015 - 4:00 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 10 2015 - 4:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The visibility of the light would depend on the wave length.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users