• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant photography thread

987 replies to this topic

#761 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted February 28 2022 - 12:24 AM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

POPULAR

An Orectognathus robustus that I found after heavy flooding in my backyard. Really small ants, maybe 3 - 4 mm long. I would love to find the colony that this ant came from.

Attached Images

• DSC_5601.JPG
  • DSC_5587.JPG
  • DSC_5597.JPG

• Barristan, smares, ConcordAntman and 11 others like this

#762 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted February 28 2022 - 11:50 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

POPULAR

One of the more unusual looking ants I have found in my travels, a Zasphinctus sp. This ant was most likely washed here by the flood waters we had where I live.

Attached Images

• DSC_5621.JPG
  • DSC_5614.JPG

• Barristan, ConcordAntman, Arthroverts and 8 others like this

#763 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 2 2022 - 9:33 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

WideBrownLand, Here in the States, watching the news of the floods last night brought you to mind. Hope you and yours are safe & dry!

• Antkeeper01, PaigeX and WideBrownLand like this

#764 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 2 2022 - 12:00 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

WideBrownLand, Here in the States, watching the news of the floods last night brought you to mind. Hope you and yours are safe & dry!

Thanks for your thoughts. We had it quite bad for a few days there but luckily it stopped just short of getting in the house or damaging our vehicles. Lot of mud and debris left behind. Hopefully the worst is behind us now. Unfortunately the flooding continues to affect NSW now. On the positive side I got two new species of ants to see because of the floods.

• ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01, NancyZamora4991 and 1 other like this

#765 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 2 2022 - 3:33 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Love the pictures. Be safe!

• Antkeeper01, PaigeX and WideBrownLand like this

#766 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 2 2022 - 4:11 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Thanks for your thoughts. We had it quite bad for a few days there but luckily it stopped just short of getting in the house or damaging our vehicles. Lot of mud and debris left behind. Hopefully the worst is behind us now. Unfortunately the flooding continues to affect NSW now. On the positive side I got two new species of ants to see because of the floods.

I can't believe that since writing this this morning it is actually flooding here again. Our road is under water and it is still raining. We have also had a bad storm that has brought trees down and apparently a few houses in town have been damaged. Crazy times.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#767 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 2 2022 - 4:14 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Love the pictures. Be safe!

Thanks mate. It is unbelievably starting to flood here again. Hopefully won't get as bad as the last one. There is just so much water around that there is nowhere for it to drain to.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#768 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted March 2 2022 - 9:37 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I can't believe that since writing this this morning it is actually flooding here again. Our road is under water and it is still raining. We have also had a bad storm that has brought trees down and apparently a few houses in town have been damaged. Crazy times.

There's been some minor floods where I live, and some bigger ones around my grandparents' place.

Speaking of the floods I think they might be what's caused PaigeX's inactivity, Gympie has been quite severely effected apparently.

Hope it all dies down soon, stay safe.

• Antkeeper01, PaigeX, WideBrownLand and 1 other like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#769 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 2 2022 - 11:29 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

There's been some minor floods where I live, and some bigger ones around my grandparents' place.

Speaking of the floods I think they might be what's caused PaigeX's inactivity, Gympie has been quite severely effected apparently.

Hope it all dies down soon, stay safe.

Thanks Leptomyrmx. I think you are right. I was wondering how PaigeX was doing. Gympie had a bad time of it. Hopefully PaigeX is high and dry. We are in for another big storm here tonight and more rain. Fingers crossed it eases up soon.

• Antkeeper01, NicholasP, Leptomyrmx and 1 other like this

#770 Offline PaigeX - Posted March 4 2022 - 1:28 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I'm all good! We did lose NBN for over 83hours tho. But I am high and dry thankfully <3
Also been able to find some small mini ants because the water in the soil has brought them closer to the surface under rocks.

Cardiocondyla sp

Cardiocondyla sp. (1).jpg

Nylanderia sp. most likely Nylanderia obscura.

Nylanderia obscura 2.jpg

Stigmacros sp

Stigmacros sp (3).jpg

• Barristan, ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard and 4 others like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#771 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 4 2022 - 2:18 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I'm all good! We did lose NBN for over 83hours tho. But I am high and dry thankfully <3
Also been able to find some small mini ants because the water in the soil has brought them closer to the surface under rocks.

Cardiocondyla sp

attachicon.gifCardiocondyla sp. (1).jpg

Nylanderia sp. most likely Nylanderia obscura.

attachicon.gifNylanderia obscura 2.jpg

Stigmacros sp

attachicon.gifStigmacros sp (3).jpg

Good to hear. It was a bit wild in S.E. Qld for a while there.

• ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#772 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 5 2022 - 7:00 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Glad to hear you all are safe and the ants too. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for all of you!

• Leptomyrmx, PaigeX and WideBrownLand like this

#773 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 5 2022 - 2:58 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

The flooding has hopefully finished with us here in S.E. Qld and the roads are all open again in my area. Thank you to everyone for offering their support, it helped. While waiting at the laundromat yesterday I got some photos of these Crazy Ants (Nylanderia sp.) harassing a Tetramorium bicarinatum.

Attached Images

• DSC_5852.JPG
  • DSC_5849.JPG

• Barristan, ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard and 4 others like this

#774 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 13 2022 - 10:00 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

POPULAR

Some Raider Ants (Aenictus sp.) that I found going on a raid in my front garden in Queensland, Australia. Impossible to take a decent photo of as they were moving so quick. 

Attached Images

• DSC_6329.JPG
  • DSC_6314.JPG
  • DSC_6332.JPG

• Barristan, ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard and 9 others like this

#775 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 14 2022 - 6:29 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Some Raider Ants (Aenictus sp.) that I found going on a raid in my front garden in Queensland, Australia. Impossible to take a decent photo of as they were moving so quick. 

Seems to me you did a pretty good job of catching them! (y)

• Antkeeper01 and WideBrownLand like this

#776 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 14 2022 - 12:01 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

A Myrmecia gilberti that I saw on the weekend. Rain finally stayed away long enough to go for a walk in the bush. Saw this ant in Beerburrum, Qld.

Attached Images

• DSC_6276.JPG
  • DSC_6275.JPG

• Barristan, ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard and 5 others like this

#777 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted March 15 2022 - 4:23 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Really colorful gaster!

• WideBrownLand likes this

#778 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 15 2022 - 12:07 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Really colorful gaster!

I really like the colouring. I don't know why a lot of ants in Australia have a gold gaster.

#779 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 15 2022 - 12:12 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

A False Trapjaw Ant (Anochetus graeffei) that I found out front of my house. I am not sure if they have always lived here as it was found at the high water mark of the recent flooding. Landsborough, Queensland.

Attached Images

• DSC_6398.JPG
  • DSC_6413.JPG
  • DSC_6418.JPG

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this

#780 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted March 19 2022 - 12:36 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

An unknown Queen that I found on Friday. Very small, maybe 5-6mm long and found in leaf litter.

Attached Images

• DSC_6676.JPG
  • DSC_6663.JPG
  • DSC_6666.JPG

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard, m99 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users