• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Restless Pogo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Paulette - Posted September 8 2015 - 6:19 PM

Paulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico, USA

I have a Pogonomyrmex rugosus queen that has a small brood in a test tube setup. I put the test tube into a THA founding formicarium and opened the tube so she could come and go and use the formicarium as a foraging area. For 3 days, she has roamed the setup, seems very restless. She returns to the tube to tend the small brood occasionally, but is constantly climbing almost all of the time.

She doesn't seem to be finding the nest area at all. I've tried to make it as easy as possible for her to find the nest chamber, and kept it moist. I removed the plastic lid from the nest chamber to try to make it easier for her to find it. But I've never seen her go in there.

The water in the test tube will probably last another 2 weeks or so. Should I keep her in the formicarium? Or re-confine her to just the test tube? Or move her and the tube to a smaller container/outworld? What would you do in this situation? She seems very restless and I'm worried she will just get totally worn out!

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 8 2015 - 7:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If it was me, I would dump her and her brood out of the tube, and make sure the nest is hydrated. She will find the nest and move her brood in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users