• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Giving ants water through only a soaked cotton ball?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 23 2024 - 5:49 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I was wondering what people thought about giving ants water with a soaked cotton ball instead of a whole test tube?

#2 Offline Demoant - Posted May 23 2024 - 6:14 PM

Demoant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

i currently do that with my cataulacus founding queens. think of it as a segment of tubing with one end moist cotton while the other is dry for removal and feeding. I water the cotton when it is dry.

it works ok for semi claustral ants as watering them can just be done when you feed them, it wouldn't work well for claustral ant though, watering does cause disturbance afterall

• 1tsm3jack likes this

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 23 2024 - 6:34 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I meant like placing in a wet cotton ball, i have a colony that I have in a dirt test tube attached to a test tube portal and I just put a wet cotton ball in the corner of the test tube portal.

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 23 2024 - 7:37 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Using a test tube setup full with water is simply more convenient. Why have to water a cotton ball every couple days instead of having a month to multiple months worth (depends on colony size) of water accessible to the ants?

#5 Offline Locness - Posted May 23 2024 - 8:07 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I've pretty much switched all my setups to have a shorter test tube with the blue pva sponges. Lasts much longer than a water feeder, doesn't spill, reusable sponge, easy to remove and refill.

#6 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 28 2024 - 4:58 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
You can but you shouldn’t. The water run the test tube is what the colony needs. Constant watering will stress out the colony- and for what?
  • 1tsm3jack likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users