• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stolen Parcel from Wakooshi

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 2 2024 - 6:29 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationGermany

Just coming here to vent...

Right.
So some low-life stole the parcel from Wakooshi I have been waiting for for more than 2 weeks now.
I just called the postal service, since I have been waiting for 2 weeks.
Apparently, an unknown anonymous person "received" the parcel.
The postal service now does an enquiry and tries to find out which idiot gave an "unknown anonymous person" my parcel.
Anyways, to the person who stole it:
Well, good luck with it! The parcel contains a small nest for ants and some ant food.
In hindsight, I am VERY sad I did not order some ants with it.
Some nice, spicy, aggressive European fire ants would have really made my day if they also had been in that parcel.

(the last part was a joke, of course, since the poor girls would probably just be killed)

In any case, this is more an exception than the rule, since 99% of my parcels arrive here save and sound. And the postman in my village is VERY reliable and nice.

More annoying than anything, really.

• ConcordAntman, TacticalHandleGaming, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 2 2024 - 9:03 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I had an issue one time where a worker at the San Francisco distribution center had opened one of my packages and basically threw the box in a corner. A month and a half later someone found the opened and empty box, and turned it in. They cut the shipping label off and put it in an envelope with a letter saying that they found my box opened and without the contents. Hopefully whoever opened it likes their Pogonomyrmex rugosus colony, haha.

• ConcordAntman, Ernteameise and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

#3 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 2 2024 - 9:23 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationGermany

I had an issue one time where a worker at the San Francisco distribution center had opened one of my packages and basically threw the box in a corner. A month and a half later someone found the opened and empty box, and turned it in. They cut the shipping label off and put it in an envelope with a letter saying that they found my box opened and without the contents. Hopefully whoever opened it likes their Pogonomyrmex rugosus colony, haha.

Ah yes. Those Pogonomyrmex are a whole level above the European fire ants (never met them in person yet, but I did read Sting of the Wild and the stories about the Pogonomyrmex and the insect pain scale).

Maybe these parcels should contain a Paraponera clavata worker as a safety measure?

• GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted May 2 2024 - 9:38 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Yes they should, I once had a guy steal a package from my door. They had 10solenopsis molesta queens with over 100 workers.

• Ernteameise likes this

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers
I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#5 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 2 2024 - 9:47 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yes they should, I once had a guy steal a package from my door. They had 10solenopsis molesta queens with over 100 workers.

Ouch.

Seriously, why steal something like this? Malice?

#6 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted May 2 2024 - 10:00 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I don't know my camera caught it it was a boy about 10-12 years old and he just swooped in the second after FedEx delivered

• The_Gaming-gate likes this

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers
I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#7 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 2 2024 - 10:10 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationGermany

I don't know my camera caught it it was a boy about 10-12 years old and he just swooped in the second after FedEx delivered

Oh wow.

Those poor girls.

Pretty sure this was not a desperate ant lover but more a thief of opportunity.

#8 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 2 2024 - 11:26 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

Should have ordered S. xyloni instead so they’d all sting the kid.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#9 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 13 2024 - 6:51 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationGermany

You won't believe it!

The guy from the phone service of the postal service promised me he would look into the matter personally...

and behold!

He did indeed find the parcel.

Indeed, 4 weeks later, the parcel arrived and I could pick it up from the post office.

As for the Wakooshi Nest- I had ordered the small nest starter set, just because I wanted to check out the company.

The nest / outworld comes not assembled.

You receive several plastic bags with screws and plastic planes to screw together yourself.

So Wakooshi is basically IKEA, just for ants.

I have two left hands, so this was pretty fiddly for me and took more than half an hour.

So this is the result of my efforts:

Wakooshi1.jpg

Wakooshi2.jpg

• ConcordAntman, TacticalHandleGaming and rptraut like this

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted May 14 2024 - 10:08 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts
I had a tarheel ants package stolen from my front door a while back. Pretty sure it was the neighbors kid but I couldn't prove it. I setup a camera outside my door after that and just this month I'm working on moving to a building with a secure entry. People suck.

Edited by T.C., May 14 2024 - 10:09 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#11 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 14 2024 - 11:36 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationGermany

I had a tarheel ants package stolen from my front door a while back. Pretty sure it was the neighbors kid but I couldn't prove it. I setup a camera outside my door after that and just this month I'm working on moving to a building with a secure entry. People suck.

Agreed!

Wow, Tarheel is much more expensive so that hurt.

No idea what had happened with my parcel here. I would be really curious to find out where it was found in the end. But that teaches me that it is worth it to call up support service and sometimes, they can indeed help you.

• ConcordAntman and Mushu like this

#12 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 15 2024 - 11:02 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Nah, T.C., people don’t generally suck. Maybe some do but not all. Just look at the community we’ve got here!

• Ernteameise, Voidley and Artisan_Ants like this

#13 Offline Mushu - Posted May 15 2024 - 10:38 PM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

Ah yes. Those Pogonomyrmex are a whole level above the European fire ants (never met them in person yet, but I did read Sting of the Wild and the stories about the Pogonomyrmex and the insect pain scale).

Maybe these parcels should contain a Paraponera clavata worker as a safety measure?

Growing up at my Uncles there were 5+minimum colonies of Pogonomyrmex sp.  I used to get stung all the time. We also had honeybees and the Pogonomyrmex stings were way more painful.  Silly me used to run around with no shoes and play football, sometimes landing on ants.

Glad you got your package. I suspect it got lost in the system somehow as my buddy got a free laptop from a shipment that was lost for months. They kept messing up his order for a laptop and the one that got cancelled finally came.

Edited by Mushu, May 15 2024 - 10:39 PM.

• Ernteameise likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users