• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant's not eating from their outworld...?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cwalser - Posted April 26 2024 - 5:26 PM

cwalser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi people! We have tried several times to raise ants, and it is so HARD! Right now we have a healthy batch of Camponotus's, but even though we put chopped up bugs in the outworld we have never seen them come out to eat. Also there is a nectar feeder up there, which is emptying, but i am wondering if it is simply evaporation, because they never seem to come up....

Wondering if i should put nectar into one of those side tubes, or just stop worrying?

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 6.24.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 6.24.20 PM.png

Thank you.

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted April 26 2024 - 5:37 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Due to just how small the colony is, they may only be consuming a small amount of protein when it's dark and you aren't around, likely when they drink as well. The ants themselves are all physogastric, which means they're at least consuming something and filling themselves full. It is a relatively large nest for the colony, so if they don't seem to grow over the next couple months, it may be helpful to move them to a smaller nest or even a tub and tube set up. If they grow, then I wouldn't move them, an "if it's working, don't change it" sort of thing.

• TacticalHandleGaming, rptraut and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

#3 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 26 2024 - 6:46 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

That Nucleus is way too big for that colony. So I would expect only a worker or two is foraging at night. As ReignofRage said, if they keep growing in that nest, they should be okay. However they will likely dump trash inside the nest. Make sure to keep an eye out for mold.

• rptraut likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#4 Offline cwalser - Posted April 26 2024 - 9:08 PM

cwalser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you both!

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#5 Offline Mushu - Posted April 30 2024 - 5:33 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

The nucleus can be plugged at the center tunnels connecting the back/front, so they have access to half the nest, although it may be a bit unsightly. It's an advertised feature of the nest.  My buddy put a colony of about 20 Camponotus us-ca02 in a nucleus and they're doing fine albeit storing trash on the other side of the nucleus and sometimes in the outworld. He's up to probably 50-60 workers now with a good brood cycle. 

• Ernteameise likes this

#6 Offline kiedeerk - Posted April 30 2024 - 12:24 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
most common mistake for new ant keepers is buying large expensive formicarium for their < 10 workers colony. I would move them to an appropriate sized nests. For a colony this size it’s very easy to move. And it will be easier in the fall to diapause them in a smaller nest

#7 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 1 2024 - 11:53 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
The ants are stressed out by the large nest, as previously said. What I’d do is move them to a TarHeelAnts Mini Hearth, or just a simple test tube. The Nucleus probably shouldn’t be used for about a year with the Camponotus. A colony that small can have plenty of reasons to die in such a large environment.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users