• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Random shoots from ant sandwich?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline helpplease - Posted April 14 2024 - 10:33 PM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello hopefully I’m in the correct part for this question.

My son bought an ant farm. It contained a box a tube and a sandwich.

He started with lasius Niger ants these died. We then after a few months bought some fire ants.

It may be irrelevant to the events but things are sprouting from the sandwich. Do you know what this could be. I don’t think it’s excrement as it’s very much more like a dark shoot of a plant or something.

I’m not sure if I can add photos but I will try.

Any help gratefully received.

#2 Offline helpplease - Posted April 14 2024 - 10:35 PM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can’t see how to add the photo?

#3 Offline Locness - Posted April 14 2024 - 10:44 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Is this sandwich from Subway? Helps to know locale.
  • UtahAnts likes this

#4 Offline helpplease - Posted April 14 2024 - 11:20 PM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ah sorry i don't know the terminology. i was under the impression it was called a sandwich. Its perhaps a 1cm wide a4 paper sized block of sand. 

#5 Offline helpplease - Posted April 14 2024 - 11:22 PM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is pic

#6 Offline helpplease - Posted April 14 2024 - 11:23 PM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Attached Images

• IMG_1175.jpeg

#7 Offline UtahAnts - Posted April 15 2024 - 9:18 AM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Haha I was thinking of the same thing.

Regardless of what they are, those sprouts should be removed as carefully as possible so as not to collapse the tunnels beneath. Did you add seeds to the soil in the sandwich?

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#8 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 15 2024 - 11:37 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

He started with lasius Niger ants these died. We then after a few months bought some fire ants.

It may be irrelevant to the events but things are sprouting from the sandwich. Do you know what this could be. I don’t think it’s excrement as it’s very much more like a dark shoot of a plant or something.

Remove all sprouts with tweezers, but do it carefully! You could also snip them with scissors. The sprouts shouldn’t harm the ants assuming they are plants, but dark colored sprouts could be a fungus which will negatively affect your colony.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 15 2024 - 11:39 AM.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#9 Offline helpplease - Posted April 15 2024 - 11:04 PM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Haha I was thinking of the same thing.

Regardless of what they are, those sprouts should be removed as carefully as possible so as not to collapse the tunnels beneath. Did you add seeds to the soil in the sandwich?

Hi no we didn't purposefully add anything other than what came with the kit. 

We will do that with some tweezers. 

Is sandwich the wrong term for the slim sand box? 

Many thanks for your reply. 

#10 Offline helpplease - Posted April 15 2024 - 11:06 PM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Remove all sprouts with tweezers, but do it carefully! You could also snip them with scissors. The sprouts shouldn’t harm the ants assuming they are plants, but dark colored sprouts could be a fungus which will negatively affect your colony.

Ok thank you i will do. Bearing in mind weve had this set since pretty much january 24 what could be causing the possible fungus? Could it be the fact we have put two types of ant in there at differing times? NB they were never in there together at same time. 

We are very new at all this so any help gratefully received. 

thanks

#11 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 16 2024 - 3:55 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Ok thank you i will do. Bearing in mind weve had this set since pretty much january 24 what could be causing the possible fungus? Could it be the fact we have put two types of ant in there at differing times? NB they were never in there together at same time.

We are very new at all this so any help gratefully received.

thanks
It doesn’t have to do much with the ants, but the sprout could be growing from their excrements. As long as you keep your ant farm nice and tidy, the sprouts shouldn’t be an issue.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 16 2024 - 3:55 AM.

#12 Offline helpplease - Posted April 16 2024 - 8:24 AM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

ok great thanks

#13 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 16 2024 - 2:16 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
If you have fed them things like seeds then that could be the case but you mentioned fungus. That means the setup is either overwatered or like what The_Gaming_Gate explained; it could be their excrements which I believe is the main case here. What have you fed them lately? That would help. You did mention that they were fire ants; but do you know what species?

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#14 Offline bmb1bee - Posted April 16 2024 - 5:44 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Don't listen to me, but that looks an awful lot like Cordyceps. Just an observation, not a concrete suggestion of what it might be.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#15 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 16 2024 - 6:12 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
[quote name="Artisan_Ants" post="238828" timestamp="1713305810"]
If you have fed them things like seeds then that could be the case but you mentioned fungus. That means the setup is either overwatered or like what The_Gaming_Gate explained; it could be their excrements which I believe is the main case here. What have you fed them lately? That would help. You did mention that they were fire ants; but do you know what species?[/quote]We can assume it’s either S. invicta, or S. geminata considering they were bought, and it’s illegal to transport S. invicta (a common species which I’d usually suggest.) I also don’t think they’d feed fire ants seeds.
[quote name="Artisan_Ants" post="238828" timestamp="1713305810"]
I

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 16 2024 - 6:14 PM.

#16 Offline futurebird - Posted April 16 2024 - 6:33 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Are there fine white thread like things all through the soil at the base of these growths? If so it's a fungus and could mean overwatering. 

How are the ants doing? 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#17 Offline futurebird - Posted April 16 2024 - 6:35 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

If they are feeding them seeds and calling them "fire ants" they are probably Pogonomyrmex. Pogonomyrmex are red and they sting and some people call all ants that are red and sting "fire ants"

Pogonomyrmex don't need super damp conditions. They live in the desert. The growths are probably some of their seeds sprouting. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#18 Offline helpplease - Posted April 17 2024 - 1:09 AM

helpplease

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

hi i will check when my son is back from school. I don't believe he feeds them seeds. Will check and revert on all points

thank you all 

#19 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 17 2024 - 4:37 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Don't listen to me, but that looks an awful lot like Cordyceps. Just an observation, not a concrete suggestion of what it might be.

That’s an issue- it actually does. As long as they are sure to remove the *entire* sprout, it should be fine, I think. I’m assuming any Cordyceps would be growing on dead ants beneath the sand.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 17 2024 - 4:39 AM.

#20 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 17 2024 - 5:30 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

If they are feeding them seeds and calling them "fire ants" they are probably Pogonomyrmex. Pogonomyrmex are red and they sting and some people call all ants that are red and sting "fire ants"

Pogonomyrmex don't need super damp conditions. They live in the desert. The growths are probably some of their seeds sprouting.

I fully agree with you, however let's not forget that Solenopsis geminata can eat seeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users