• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why do CA-02 remain nameless?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted February 15 2024 - 6:26 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Anyone know why Camponotus CA-02 (common name: Giant Californian Carpenter ants still has a place-holder name? they’re hugely popular with antkeepers out west … odd they remain “undescribed” I’d think myrmecologists would be pushing & shoving to write a description & give these well-loved ants their binomial. 
I hope it’s a good name— something w/ indigenous history or something cool. Since they are like mini Dinomyrmex gigas maybe Camponotus giglet? Camponotus minimyrmex?

Still from video from impulse ants comparing their size...
it's not a fight video although it makes me nervous when he puts different queens together like this... that said, it's informative to really see them side by side.
QSgD1O9.png

Edited by futurebird, February 15 2024 - 7:35 AM.

• BleepingBleepers likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted February 15 2024 - 7:18 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

As a CA02 keeper, I got use to it but yeah, wonder why.

How long does it usually take for them to get an official name?

I'm thinking if they're California ants, I'd go Camponotus Califa or Californicus

Kinda steered away from Fornicus cause I googled it and got

Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain :o

Anyhow, half joking aside, I'm getting used to calling them CA02 lol. It's short and I'm really bad with names.

• futurebird and ZATrippit like this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 15 2024 - 8:41 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
The Camponotus CA-02 species was just not so researched about, like that of common species we find (S. molesta, C. pennsylvanicus e.t.c). On AntWeb, only about 3 specimens were found of this species. They are also known as Camponotus US-CA02, CA referring to California. The only way people have really come to know this species is in captivity really.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#4 Offline ZATrippit - Posted February 15 2024 - 9:50 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Someone's asking the question they don't want you to know!

In all seriousness, this is a good question. A similar scenario for me would be Iridomyrmex undescribed, which despite being common in Australia and New Zealand, remains, well, undescribed.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#5 Offline futurebird - Posted February 15 2024 - 11:01 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

OK but it's not like keepers are ... breeding ants? All these people with pet colonies came from wild caught queens. They aren't rare exactly. Are they perhaps very nocturnal and thus not observed often... even though they my fly during the day?

There are named species where we only have seen the male. I wish I understood how it worked better.  

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 15 2024 - 11:46 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationCalif.
To my understanding, Camponotus us-ca02 (no common name) has remained undescribed because it was belived that a journal from Mexico was describing them. However, it never came to fruition. There has been numerous specimens collected of the species, I have no clue to an idea how only three specimens were found on AntWeb when more than that are imaged. It should also be noted that there is multiple morphotaxons on antweb for C. us-ca02 as well and they are as follows: us-ca02, us_ca02, bca02, and semitestaceus_cf. There is plenty enough research done on the species to describe them, which Dr. Phil Ward currently is working on. "Well-loved" is a stretch, since that is strictly a hobbyist love and not a myrmecologist thing. It takes time and effort to procure specimens, examine specimens, described, and distinguish/diagnose them - let alone the cost it takes to do that on top of publishing a paper. It boils down to effort + funding is what holds back species from getting described along with other factors such as disinterest to work on the species. With how costly it is to publish in a reputable journal, it is not worth it to do small papers only describing one or two random ants.

Etymology notes:

"minimyrmex" is Greek for miniature ant: mini- = miniature/small and -myrmex = ant.

"giglet" may also be a poor fit due to it having an English meaning of "giddy woman" or the oxymoronic and demeaning Latin translations of "small giant," "giant unimportance," "diminutive giant," etc.

"califa" is a feminine suffix which would be in conflict with the masculine Camponotus. There could also be confusion for the plural form of "caliph," which is a political leader in Muslim world or Spanish for king. It will likely be named in allusion to its endemism to California and Baja California, which would likely be "californicus." 

Edited by ReignofRage, February 15 2024 - 11:49 AM.

• gcsnelling, OiledOlives, ZATrippit and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users