• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mymercia Tarsarta won't stay in her tube (help)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline theants12678 - Posted February 12 2024 - 1:33 AM

theants12678

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

My mymercia tarsarta queen doesn't like her test-tube and likes her outworld more.

I have seen that she even relaxes in the outworld, which I would expect her to do in her tube. 

Attached are photos her in her test-tube, including one of her pulling at the cotton ball (trying to escape?)

Can someone please tell me why she might be uncomfortable and how to fix it? 

IMG_4309_clean.jpg

IMG_4310_clean.jpg

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 12 2024 - 1:47 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Are you consistently feeding her? 

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 12 2024 - 1:49 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

For one, Myrmecia spp. are semi-claustral, so they forage for their food even during founding. I would suggest just keeping the tube connected to the outworld. You can keep the tube covered and hopefully she will stay in it, but she may not like the humidity levels or something else. The ants know (usually) what is best for them.

• ReignofRage, rptraut and Artisan_Ants like this

#4 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted February 12 2024 - 12:25 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

Comments above are good suggestions, it my be that the humidity in the tube isn't to the queen's liking, she doesn't find it safe in the tube, or is just hungry. Cooling down the nest may calm the queen down.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users