• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idontexist's odontomachus journal

91 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 2 2024 - 9:12 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
This is a journal for my recently acquired odontomachus queen whom i have been caring for well over 3 days as I'm writing this

Edited by Idontexist, February 6 2024 - 5:33 PM.

• OiledOlives likes this

#2 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 2 2024 - 9:15 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Todays update is that she now has 2 eggs, maybe even 3 in her test tube
  • OiledOlives likes this

#3 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 2 2024 - 11:35 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
You shouldn’t put odontomachus queens in test tubes, because of their lack of ability to climb.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#4 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 2 2024 - 12:22 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

You shouldn’t put odontomachus queens in test tubes, because of their lack of ability to climb.

Yeah but If there’s substrate then she’ll be fine.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#5 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 2 2024 - 12:47 PM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Odontomachus love soil. Some species of foundress queens will make a turret-shaped tunnel into a foundress chamber if you give them adequate amounts of soil. You will find lots of success with most foundress queens with the following food types (they're semi-Claustral, meaning they will need food to raise their first brood):

- Fruit Flies

- Wax Worms (Diced)

- Mealworms (Diced) 
- Crickets (Diced)

It is recommended to have all protein-rich foods dropped in a cup of boiled water to discourage harmful Acarus mite growth within the test tube.

What species are you keeping?

#6 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 2 2024 - 1:47 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Odontomachus love soil. Some species of foundress queens will make a turret-shaped tunnel into a foundress chamber if you give them adequate amounts of soil. You will find lots of success with most foundress queens with the following food types (they're semi-Claustral, meaning they will need food to raise their first brood):

- Fruit Flies
- Wax Worms (Diced)
- Mealworms (Diced)
- Crickets (Diced)

It is recommended to have all protein-rich foods dropped in a cup of boiled water to discourage harmful Acarus mite growth within the test tube.

I do not know and I'm currently trying to identify the species but i have noticed that they lay more eggs if soil is added into their test tube
  • OiledOlives and Artisan_Ants like this

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 2 2024 - 3:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I wonder if Hightlyze will come back, too?
  • Manitobant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 2 2024 - 3:39 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

- Fruit Flies
- Wax Worms (Diced)
- Mealworms (Diced)
- Crickets (Diced)

I do not know and I'm currently trying to identify the species but i have noticed that they lay more eggs if soil is added into their test tube
I mean, practically every species in the genus Odontomachus thrives in soil/substrate right? In founding it’s important though.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#9 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted February 3 2024 - 3:46 PM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan
Not gonna lie Idontexist, your grammar is better, and you seem to be actually doing well. I hope this is a new era for you.
  • Manitobant, bmb1bee and AntsCali098 like this

#10 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 3 2024 - 3:51 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Yeah but If there’s substrate then she’ll be fine.

do tightly pack it though.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#11 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted February 4 2024 - 8:31 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

GL with your journal, I hope you include some pics and videos later on, I love pictures and videos that you guys post of your ants.

I also have a bad memory and new to ants so many of the ants you guys post, I don't know what they are, but picture does help when I click and instantly see it. Google image it is!

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#12 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 5 2024 - 1:57 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
No real update although i have been feeding her fruit flies that show up on my window snd other insects. what is the time it takes for the eggs to hatch? Speaking about eggs she seems very protective of them and carries them around
  • OiledOlives likes this

#13 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 5 2024 - 2:02 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Crushing them up seems to be more efective than live feeding
  • OiledOlives likes this

#14 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 5 2024 - 6:00 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

No real update although i have been feeding her fruit flies that show up on my window snd other insects. what is the time it takes for the eggs to hatch? Speaking about eggs she seems very protective of them and carries them around

Don’t keep them myself, but I believe that it can take a while (they’re very closely related to bull ants is some way so for egg to worker is like 3-4 months; probably even longer) but this all depends on how much protein you give them per day. If you put them on heating (unless they’re already on heating) then expect much faster growth. Had a S. molesta queen near my heater, and her workers died off so I lost hope on her, but I fed her and she came back with a clutch of eggs. She went from egg to worker in about 1 1/2 week; which blew my mind. Anyways, If you want faster development just give her large amounts of protein like fruit fly for some amount of days, and then a mealworm, (or any larger prey) and set her on heating.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 5 2024 - 6:01 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#15 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 6 2024 - 3:15 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Don’t keep them myself, but I believe that it can take a while (they’re very closely related to bull ants is some way so for egg to worker is like 3-4 months; probably even longer) but this all depends on how much protein you give them per day. If you put them on heating (unless they’re already on heating) then expect much faster growth. Had a S. molesta queen near my heater, and her workers died off so I lost hope on her, but I fed her and she came back with a clutch of eggs. She went from egg to worker in about 1 1/2 week; which blew my mind. Anyways, If you want faster development just give her large amounts of protein like fruit fly for some amount of days, and then a mealworm, (or any larger prey) and set her on heating.

They aren't related to bull ants that closely. They're pretty distant, with Pseudomyrmecinae being the closest subfamily to Myrmeciinae if I recall. If you're making a guess based on resemblance, then be expected to have a very low accuracy. Ants are weird, a lot of different ants that look nothing similar to one another are pretty closely related.

Anyways, Odontomachus have a pretty similar development time among all species, which would be around 1 month for eggs to hatch, 1-2 weeks for larvae to pupate, around a month for pupae to enclose.
  • SYUTEO, bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#16 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 6 2024 - 12:09 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Well that sounds like a very long time does it?
  • OiledOlives likes this

#17 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 6 2024 - 12:14 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Well that sounds like a very long time does it?

Yeah, this genus is for advanced keepers, but if you have patience then they’re not so hard to take care of.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#18 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 6 2024 - 12:46 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Waiting is no problem for me, you have to be patient with these guys
  • OiledOlives and Artisan_Ants like this

#19 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:34 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
My god, she has already laid an estimate of 5 eggs! that's pretty cool
  • OiledOlives likes this

#20 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:56 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

One thing to look out for when keeping Ponerinae in test tubes is larvae failing to pupate, even when soil is added. In my experience, almost all the larvae in the second generation fail to pupate when raised in a test tube and I still don't know why the first generation succeeded but the next didn't. For me, this seemed to only happen in Odontomachus. Anochetus managed to get to third or fourth generation before having these issues and I never got Odontoponera to successfully pupate. The only time I got a colony past the second generation of workers is when I housed them in a dirt setup where they can dig freely. Maybe I'm just unlucky because I've heard of some people who kept their colonies in test tubes for years without having any pupation difficulties. Hopefully you won't encounter this issue, good luck.

• rptraut likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users