• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

GoCAMPONOTUS first camponotus sansebanus

gocampontus camponotus ants journal

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 1 2024 - 6:09 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I bought a colony of camponotus sansebabus online and they are due to arrive on Feb 2nd

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, February 2 2024 - 9:18 PM.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers
I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#2 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 1 2024 - 6:11 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I bought a single queen with eggs

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently keeping

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 1 2024 - 6:27 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Nice, (you might want to feed her like honey or something when she arrives; not protein) and you’ll have to hibernate her. Do this like 2 days after she arrives. Start with lowering the temperature by using an ice pack or something, and keeping her near a window. When it’s around 50 degrees, quickly move her to a fridge, and set the temperature to 43-46 ºF. Keep her in this phase, for like 4-5 months. And make sure to open periodically for a fresh airflow (they don’t need a lot of air anyways because they live in the ground and hibernate like meters under the ground, but that doesn’t mean that they need no fresh air at all). Camponotus are very good at dealing with low temp, so keeping them at ideal 38ºF is fine, but might be a little harsh on her. Good luck!

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 2 2024 - 3:43 PM.

• GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 1 2024 - 8:45 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

In my area we have weather around 42-53 degrees F. And my garage is around 43 degrees F so would i be able to keep her in there.

I also have a mini fridge if that would work out

Currently keeping

#5 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 1 2024 - 9:27 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
A mini fridge would be a perfect place to hibernate your queen, but I’m fairly certain that your garage would also work.
  • rptraut and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#6 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 2 2024 - 4:36 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Yeah all of those would work great. Just make sure your garage temperature doesn’t fluctuate too much.
  • rptraut likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#7 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 2 2024 - 8:20 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Got it thank you for the info. I will update soon

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently keeping

#8 Offline kiedeerk - Posted February 2 2024 - 4:23 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I have to give advice to new ant keepers not to buy queens without workers. Especially in their off season. Camponotus sansebabus fly in the spring to early summer. The queen you bought most likely is a queen from last season. Camponotus queens don’t typically diapause then lay eggs as most Camponotus species fly in spring and early summer. They would have a set or two of nanitics before diapause.

I wish you good luck but if this is a queen that failed her first founding or lost all her initial workers. It will be extremely hard to found unless you can boost her with pupae of the same/similar species
  • rptraut, bmb1bee, Artisan_Ants and 1 other like this

#9 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 2 2024 - 8:55 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I don't have any other Sansas so how would i brood boost them. Or any other camponotuses currently or around me.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, February 2 2024 - 9:23 PM.

Currently keeping

#10 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 2 2024 - 9:19 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I'm confused should I put her in hibernation or not?

Or should I leave her and wait for her to lay eggs.

Currently keeping

#11 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 3 2024 - 6:48 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
No. Put her In hibernation. Even If she was caught last season. Not all queens have success in raising to workers (not the case for your queen though) or some can be caught very late, causing them to only reach egg/larvae stage (probably what happened to your queen). Keep her in hibernation, wrap her with towels, and she will be fine. I myself have some C. cerasi queen with no eggs, and they’re hibernating just fine. After the first year in hibernation, it’s optional if you want to hibernate her or not. But keep in mind that If she is hibernated, there is a much bigger success rate in egg production next season then that of not hibernating her. Brood boosting her might also work, but it’s complicated. But If you can get your hand on callow workers, it could work (suggest trying that in Spring if she doesn’t have eggs).

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 3 2024 - 3:41 PM.

• rptraut likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#12 Offline rptraut - Posted February 3 2024 - 2:05 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello GOCAMPONOTUS;

I don't think we have enough information to properly answer your question.  What exactly did you receive?   Do you have a queen with eggs, or just the queen?

Second, where are you located?  Hibernation or diapause requirements depend largely on where the ants are living.  Why try to duplicate outdoor conditions in a fridge, put her out in your garage in the dark, wrapped up if you like, against the wall of the attached house to minimize the chances of her freezing, and leave her until the weather warms in spring.  She seems like she might be a little skittish, so disturb her as little as possible as she raises her first brood.

I wouldn't give up on this queen, but I wouldn't pin all my hopes on her either.  Right now, I have a Camponotus queen that lost or ate her eggs the first season so I put her in a natural setup and left her to see what she would do.  In her second season she raised two nanitics and had a nice little egg pile going into diapause last fall.   Thankfully I had other ants to occupy my time because this queen has taken a long hard road.  Camponotus colonies grow slowly as it is, losing nanitics or workers early in a colony's life will slow that growth rate even more.  As I said, I wouldn't pin all my hopes on this queen, but I wouldn't give up on her either.   There'll be many opportunities to find queens this coming season, so start planning now for spring and summer queen hunting.   You'll catch queens that will easily found colonies and get off to a good start right from the beginning.  Good Luck

RPT

• bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#13 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 3 2024 - 2:45 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Just curious, how much did you get the queen for?

#14 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 3 2024 - 5:36 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I don't think she's fertile. February isn't even spring yet, so I think she's one of those early fliers who didn't mate.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#15 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 3 2024 - 5:50 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I don't think she's fertile. February isn't even spring yet, so I think she's one of those early fliers who didn't mate.
Yeah that could be true. It really depends on if she has eggs or not. If she doesn’t then she’s not fertile, (or likely ate them through shipping) But if she does have eggs then there’s hope. You can find brood of other species, raise them with their own workers, and put the callows inside with the queen. Like introducing parasitic Lasius queens to their hosts. But again, if there are no eggs, then there’s no point.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 3 2024 - 5:51 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#16 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 3 2024 - 6:45 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

There are 0 eggs so should I just lose hope?

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, February 3 2024 - 6:52 PM.

Currently keeping

#17 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 3 2024 - 6:53 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I got the queen and eggs for $65 But she might have ate the eggs during shipping as the pictures had eggs in them also I live in Rocklin,Ca 

Currently keeping

#18 Offline kiedeerk - Posted February 3 2024 - 7:08 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
never buy queens without workers in off season. Freshly caught queens should also have eggs before being sold. Queens will sometimes eat brood but in my experience they never eat all the brood during shipping. So queens who arrive without any brood is a major red flag. Too many scammers out there who sell infertile queens or failed queens from previous seasons
  • bmb1bee and BleepingBleepers like this

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 3 2024 - 7:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Any seller should know better than to be selling a queen at full price that flew 10 months ago and still has no brood or workers. This is why you should by from reputable sellers.

• BleepingBleepers likes this

#20 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 3 2024 - 8:17 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I got the queen and eggs for $65 But she might have ate the eggs during shipping as the pictures had eggs in them also I live in Rocklin,Ca 

65?!?! Oh nah definitely a scam, no queen should cost that unless it's a rare or sought-after species or genus like Atta, and I'm pretty sure C. sansabeanus isn't rare or sought after. I've seen C. pennsylvanicus colonies online with workers that cost less than that.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gocampontus, camponotus, ants, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users