• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best Nest Orientation: Horizontal or Vertical?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PDuncan67 - Posted January 12 2024 - 4:43 PM

PDuncan67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello. 

In case this varies by species, I currently I have two Lasius neoniger, one Messor barbarus, and one Camponotus floridanus colony. 

Right now they are still in test tubes, but I am looking forward to getting them into nests once they are ready.

My question is, do the ants really care if the nest is oriented horizontally as opposed to vertically?

Thank you for any advice.

Colonies: Lasius neoniger, Messor barbarus, Camponotus floridanus

#2 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted January 12 2024 - 7:42 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

As you pointed out this is a very species/genus related question. For example: Honeypot Ants are more suited for vertical nests, this is because their repletes hang from the walls of the nest, in your case however either style of nest would probably be fine.

• OiledOlives, rptraut and PDuncan67 like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 13 2024 - 3:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

As you pointed out this is a very species/genus related question. For example: Honeypot Ants are more suited for vertical nests, this is because their repletes hang from the walls of the nest, in your case however either style of nest would probably be fine.

I agree with this. Size will be a more important consideration for small colonies. Ants will feel stressed in too roomy of a nest, and they are more likely to fill the extra space with stored food and trash that can mold.
  • rptraut and PDuncan67 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Scantly - Posted January 13 2024 - 1:37 PM

Scantly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ants will feel stressed in too roomy of a nest

Could you not fill-in extra space/area with sand, etc, thereby enabling them to dig out and expand into those areas when they deem it necessary? 

• PDuncan67 likes this

#5 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted January 13 2024 - 3:03 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

You could. Some ant nests ship large with little slider doors to open more room as they grow. Some with cork plugs they can chew past as they want. Depending on the ant being kept of course. Thing about using sand/dirt is it gives the ants material  to work with. They could cover the glass with dirt over time if they wanted.
Generally it is best to plan to upgrade nest sizes as they grow rather than give them a lot all at once to grow into. Most nests on the market have a two+ port setup so you can add on to them as you go. Attaching a new nest to the old one with a little bit of tube each time they need more space.

As far as top down vs side view, it really depends on the ants. Some ants need to hang from the ceiling, others don't. Some ants are more light sensitive than others, and side view nests are generally darker/more shaded than top down.

I only know about my own ants, Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis, so could not advise specifically on yours. Except about the dirt of course, any ants might use provided dirt to cover your view into their nest.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, January 13 2024 - 3:06 PM.

#6 Offline dboeren - Posted January 18 2024 - 10:03 AM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I just ordered some Camponotus floridanus for my first colony and went with the side view Mini-Hearth as I thought they would benefit from less light and being able to hang on the walls/ceilings.  If I one day get some Pogonomyrmex I might go with the top view Fallen Fortress since they don't climb much anyway and it will give better visibility.  I can always put a cover over it when I'm not watching them to darken it but from what I've read they aren't very light sensitive either.

In general I think I prefer the outworld on top of nest design as a good compromise.

• PDuncan67 likes this

#7 Offline Rrar - Posted January 18 2024 - 4:08 PM

Rrar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

In my opinion, ants don't really care about if their nests are vertical or horizontal. I think it is just about your favorite choice of style, unless they are picky ant species, like honeypots. Also, you need to consider the size of the colony to the nest you are getting.

• PDuncan67 likes this

canada = boring!!!!!

I want attaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

also: Camponotus ca02 ( probably not possible though)

#8 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 18 2024 - 6:49 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Here's a previous thread on the subject.

Both will function just fine. For some species, a vertical setup is recommended but it's really up to you. I prefer vertical nests because the ants can behave as they would naturally - by hanging from chamber ceilings. The drawback for vertical nests is lighting and visibility, whereas if you are looking to showcase a colony horizontal may be the way to go. The Messor will desiccate onto the glass so you may want a plan to clean the glass every once in a while.

Additionally, you could try a "dual view" design where the nest is vertical but still features an overhead view/lighting port. This seems to have the best of both worlds and the quality of view will not disappoint. Examples below.

IMG 2724

IMG 2416

IMG 9731

IMG 9703

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic