• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntidepressAnt's Camponotus substitutus Journal

plaster camponotus

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted February 14 2024 - 4:29 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

Good job with the new workers, looks like you're doing everything right! Protein would be great for them, especially if you want more brood, but sugar could give the workers more energy, causing extra activity in the nest. They will need protein eventually.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#22 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted February 14 2024 - 4:42 PM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationFortaleza, Brazil

Hi futurebird and The_Gaming-gate. I still keep the underground part of the setup hidden behind the aluminum foil most of the time to keep it dark. They drink mostly from the condensation I believe, you can see how the walls of the nest are covered in tiny droplets in the last picture. The plaster holds water very well. It was previously suggested to make a better hydration system, but I kept postponing it... Maybe I'll get to do it in the weekend. I will offer them a drop of a creamy cat treat as protein source tomorrow, see if they take it.

Edited by AntidepressAnt, February 14 2024 - 4:48 PM.

• futurebird likes this

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 14 2024 - 5:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I renamed and moved your journal.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline rptraut - Posted February 14 2024 - 5:52 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Congratulations AntidepressAnt, we’re all very pleased for you and your queen.
RPT
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#25 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted March 1 2024 - 3:17 PM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi people. Not much more to tell, but there are more workers, and now they do the foraging and the queen isn't walking around outside anymore.

20240301-103821.jpg

I've been offering them a bit of everything, cat food, peanut butter, a piece of orange, but it's difficult to tell how much is actually being eaten... Sometimes I see one or two of them close to the food.

• futurebird and Artisan_Ants like this

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2024 - 5:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They should be fed pre-killed insects to truly thrive.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#27 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted March 25 2024 - 10:24 AM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello, sorry for rarely posting. My ants are eating more now. I guess they were just shy foragers and are becoming bolder as their numbers increase. For several reasons I can't keep live feeders here at the moment... I've seen some pre-killed ones, like packets of dehydrated mealworms, but since my colony is recent I'm afraid most of them would go bad before my ants eat them. Also I'm not too sure if dry ones would be good for them, as I've read adult ants have trouble consuming solid foods (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've recently moved them to a larger formicarium, as the old one was getting dirty. This one is made of plaster much like my others, but is bigger and with three separate chambers. The idea is that initially only one of them would be available, with the others blocked off with paper until the colony gets big enough to need them.

20240319-164035.jpg

20240319-164047.jpg

20240319-164057.jpg

This one actually turned out worse than my older ones, with a very uneven messed up surface, I guess I didn't wait enough to touch and sculpt the material and it was still soft.

I was really sick of the aluminum foil, so to keep the chambers dark I stapled some bookmarks together.

20240319-165424.jpg

I tried using light to make them leave their old nest. While the workers readily explored the new territory, after some days it became clear they would not move the brood and queen, so i just dumped the colony there (as delicately as I could). I also added some substrate shortly before that, aquarium stuff that could either be described as very coarse sand or very fine gravel.

20240319-165603.jpg

20240324-092447.jpg

They finally got into the new nest. They used the grains to partly block the entrance, I guess the original opening was too broad for their liking. Another thing I've noticed is that they like to dump the sand/gravel into the sugar water for some reason (better footing I guess?).

Edited by AntidepressAnt, March 25 2024 - 10:27 AM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#28 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 25 2024 - 10:43 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
You are very right on the fact that most ants (especially Camponotus) tend to not eat dry foods, due to the fact that it is not liquidized, which makes it harder to digest and carry around like you mentioned. I tried feeding dehydrated mealworms to my Camponotus colony before when looking for a protein source. But it didn’t work out and they didn’t touch it at all. Other species that tend to live in deserts, or dryer areas like Pogonomyrmex and I believe Messor; tend to eat dry foods at times (since the seeds that they eat are usually a little dry anyways). Some other spices that eat dry food other than harvester ants are Pheidole (or specially ones found in once again, dryer habitat like deserts). Other than that; this colony has been growing quite solidly. Keep up the great work! Ant about the sugar water thing. Sometimes they just do it when they are to full. In the wild, when they finish their food, they usually stack substrate over it when they want or when it’s present. Good luck; can’t wait to see this colony grow stronger and larger!
  • futurebird, rptraut and AntidepressAnt like this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#29 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 25 2024 - 1:31 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA
I would avoid using plaster because of mold.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plaster, camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users