• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Neoponera Villosa Journal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RathalosGR - Posted December 31 2023 - 10:31 AM

RathalosGR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey there! Was thinking about starting a journal on this anyway, might as well make it public. First about me, I am not very experienced at all at keeping ants. I have a Camponotus Discolor colony that is about 60 workers strong that I really enjoy watching. Other than that, I have zero experience, I fell into this on accident and now I'm addicted lol.

Backstory on my Neoponera Villosa (Texas Bullet Ant). I found them in mid October in South Texas. I quickly did research and asked around on Facebook about identification and care guides. I settled on tubs and tubes. I originally found 4 queens so I paired them up. The wife and kids had the honor of naming them. The first pair being Elsa and Anna. The second pair being Samuelina L Jackson and Olof. They took FOREVER to lay any eggs. So I'll start the journal today.

December 31, 2023

Elsa&Anna- Together they have 5 eggs and 3 larva at this point. The most weird behavior they portray is that they don't really hunt. They accept dead pray, but as soon as I introduce live cricket they defend their tube but do not attack. I don't know why that is.

Samuelina&Olof- They ate their eggs unfortunately, they started to develop pretty bad mold in their tube so I moved them into a mini harth and an out world being that I saw someone do that on YouTube. I just did this December 29, 2023. So I'll post it anything happens there.

PXL_20231230_164419727.jpg

PXL_20231230_164619036.jpg

PXL_20231230_164439224.jpg

Feb 3, 2024 UPDATE

Anna/Elsa: We have 1 cocoon and 1 larvae getting ready! Should have our first worker very soon. The cocoon has been here for about 5 days so far. Also have a new batch of eggs it looks like.

Samuelina/Olof: No eggs or anything. Don't think we are gonna get anything here guys. 

PXL_20240204_032501583.jpg

PXL_20240204_032442170.jpg

PXL_20240204_032525974.jpg

Feb 6th, 2024- NOTE

Anna/Elsa: Very interesting thing I noticed. So, I put pure honey in a very shallow 3D printed disc. Over the past 2 weeks, I've been having to refill their water dish more often then normal. Well going through and cleaning their tubs and tubes set up, I bumped their honey dish and too my surpise, it was almost water viscosity! My best guess is they are actually adding water to their honey! Just a fun little thing I've come across. 

Edited by RathalosGR, February 6 2024 - 6:02 PM.

• Karma, SYUTEO, Ernteameise and 1 other like this

#2 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 31 2023 - 1:41 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
you posted this journal twice
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#3 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 31 2023 - 1:45 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
maybe one of the two of samuelina and olof are infertile, you should try separating them, and see which ones lays eggs/ lays eggs then eats them, also your a daredevil 😭your keeping BULLET ANTS with no experience of them.
  • RathalosGR likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#4 Offline RathalosGR - Posted December 31 2023 - 2:39 PM

RathalosGR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

maybe one of the two of samuelina and olof are infertile, you should try separating them, and see which ones lays eggs/ lays eggs then eats them, also your a daredevil your keeping BULLET ANTS with no experience of them.

Lol yea I know, I just figured there is so much information out there nowadays that's pretty much anyone can do almost anything with enough determination. I've really enjoyed this hobby and it's something my wife and kids also enjoy so that is a huge plus. 

Them being infertile is definitely a possibility. They did have eggs at one point so I'm hoping they just got stressed out. I just moved them a few days ago so I'll give them a week or 2 together and then move them if they haven't started laying. Thanks for the tip!

• AsdinAnts likes this

#5 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 31 2023 - 3:18 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
anytime!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#6 Offline ReignofRage - Posted December 31 2023 - 4:29 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationCalif.

maybe one of the two of samuelina and olof are infertile, you should try separating them, and see which ones lays eggs/ lays eggs then eats them, also your a daredevil your keeping BULLET ANTS with no experience of them.

You do realize Neoponera are not actually bullet ants, right? Paraponera are bullet ants, don't let the common name confuse you.

• AsdinAnts likes this

#7 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 31 2023 - 8:22 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
oops, I'm a bit silly. Wait, what separates the two species?

Edited by AsdinAnts, January 1 2024 - 9:35 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#8 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted January 1 2024 - 9:41 PM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

They aren’t in the same subfamilies.
  • JesseTheAntKid likes this

#9 Offline Karma - Posted January 7 2024 - 12:32 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCanada

You do realize Neoponera are not actually bullet ants, right? Paraponera are bullet ants, don't let the common name confuse you.

They aren’t in the same subfamilies.

While they are in a different subfamily, they are often referred to as "Texas Bullet Ants" (see bug guide under "Other Common Names": https://bugguide.net...e/view/145522).They also warrant the name with an incredibly painful sting and aggressive hunting behaviour like their Paraponera sisters.

I'm looking forward to more updates on these interesting ants, I hope they do well!

• rptraut likes this

#10 Offline RathalosGR - Posted February 4 2024 - 4:14 PM

RathalosGR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Update posted!

#11 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted February 4 2024 - 8:22 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Nice start to a journal!

Have always been interested in Bullet Ants, Bulldog ants (Myrmecia), Harpegnathos, etc.

I'm a picture / video guy, my journal is filled with them, so I appreciate looking the pictures you posted too. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated!

• RathalosGR likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#12 Offline RathalosGR - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:27 PM

RathalosGR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Small little updated. Tell me what you all think.

• Karma and BleepingBleepers like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users