• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor barbarus Queen Ant

messor barbarus queen ant diapause

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mortaliton - Posted December 30 2023 - 11:20 AM

Mortaliton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Good Afternoon

I am new getting into the Ant hobby. I got my first Ant Farm after watching a video on youtube and it seemed pretty interesting. As it seems with a lot of research it will sit empty for a tad bit and the test tube is the way to go.

Currently I have the following Ant and supplies.

- Messor barbarus Queen Ant
- AC test tube portal
- Extra Test tubes
- Insect Protien mix ( Food )
- Ant Farm

So from my research the Messor Barbarus diapause in the colder season. I have found a few mixed answers ranging from it ends in January to March. I also read that once a Queen ant mates she will utilize the protein in her wings as a source of food while she is in diapause. My concern is if that's the case. Its been a week inside the test tube so far. No brood yet which is expected.

- Can she survive with just water in the test tube?
- Should I move her to a new test tube with Sugar water?
- Can I place a drop of pure/raw honey on a Q-tip end inside the test tube on paper?

I do not want to stress her out. From what I find I should not check in on her more than 1-2 times a week.

Also I should not even consider moving to the ant farm until she has about 10-20 workers?

Any input is very much appreciated. I'm starting from scratch and I know there is a lot to learn for this.

Thank You in advance, and Happy Holidays!

#2 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 30 2023 - 1:50 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
I would suggest feeding her before dispause, also I would wait until she has more workers to move her into an ant farm, depending on how big it is. I am not really sure on how the dispause/hibernation works considering that i’m new on those subjects, but I believe that she can survive winter with just water alone in the test tube.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#3 Offline Triggerhippy888 - Posted December 31 2023 - 11:41 AM

Triggerhippy888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Firstly Messor are exogenous-heterodynamic and this means that diapause is not a necessity for this species. They respond only to temperature drops to decide whether to enter diapause and will continue to develop through winter if the temperature stays warm. (As opposed to other species which are endogenous-heterodynamic, their diapause arises due to internal factors (endogenous timer) and no external conditions can prevent it.) Having said that it is very probably beneficial for a mature colony to have a few months rest from brood production and there is some suggestion that not having diapause decreases the life expectancy of the queen. (although this is something commonly said by antkeepers I don't know if there is actual evidence to support). 

Also while speaking of Messor diapause, since they are a Mediterranean species they only require around 14-16c to view it as cold and do not require putting in a fridge as you need to do with more northern species. 

The first question would be what conditions has the seller been keeping her in? If they have been keeping her cold waiting for the sale then it's going to take her a few weeks to decide that temperature are warm enough to start egg production. Depending what temperature she is at now (you don't mention) she might still not think it's warm enough. 

Next thing, you must never put your queen or colony in a sugar water test tube, this will kill them, the test tube should always be fresh water, preferably bottled or filtered as tap water in some countries has chlorine added which while safe for human consumption can build up in insects and kill them. Ants not having access to a fresh drinking water source is the fastest way to kill a colony, even when they are in a nest you still need a drinking water source somewhere in your set up. 

Yes you could feed a tiny (and I mean really tiny, no bigger than the head of the queen) drop of honey on paper or foil so that you can remove again after 24 hours if she doesn't eat it. You've no real idea when she was caught, how long she's been kept and at what temperatures etc. so she might be low on reserves. 

Finally Messor are a really hard species to start from just a queen, once you have a colony started they are one of the easiest species to keep but the founding stage with just a queen is really quite tricky. They have a tendency to not produce and to just roll over and die for no good reason. They are very susceptible to disturbance, especially vibrations but also sudden light level increases, you should try to leave her alone as much as possible, checking even less that you suggested. She has also been through a lot of stress recently as she got shook about by what ever delivery method was used to get her to you. However don't be too surprised if she doesn't make it, as I said single Messor queens can be hard to get going. (if you are new and do this again, I recommend buying a colony with some workers already for this species). 

TLDR

Offer tiny sugar once, then put away, leave alone and cross your fingers. 

• ANTdrew, PDuncan67 and AsdinAnts like this

#4 Offline Mortaliton - Posted December 31 2023 - 1:37 PM

Mortaliton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you for the very in depth reply. I read a bit about the queen just rolling over and dying for no good reason.

Fingers and toes have been crossed from day one. I do have the test tube in between a couple of socks sitting in a 69F room. Both sitting on a vibration reduction sheet of rubber. The test tube is also wrapped in tinfoil as well to keep the test tube nice and dark. Trying to reduce light and vibrations as much as possible.

Update: Her Majesty is eating the honey. Lets see what happens now with time.

Edited by Mortaliton, January 1 2024 - 4:57 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: messor barbarus queen ant, diapause

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users