• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster Occidentalis, Journal of AsdinAnts

45 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted March 5 2024 - 7:04 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
I have moved the colony back into a test tube, and gave them an outworld. I will post pictures of it later, but I made the mistake of moisturizing the rock/sand mixture that I had as their flooring and now they’ve gone and nested in that. Two of the four pupae have started gaining a lot of color, so I’m pretty sure that they’re going to eclose anytime soon! 🥳
  • futurebird and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#42 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted March 11 2024 - 7:55 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
One of the pupae have eclosed! This brings the worker count to 7!
  • Artisan_Ants likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#43 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 12 2024 - 11:43 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Yay!! Colony is doing great! Let the substrate dry out and the ants will head back to their test tube. Have those eggs hatched yet? If not they’re probably just trophic eggs that the queen (or workers?) laid to eat later between feedings.
  • Artisan_Ants likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#44 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted March 22 2024 - 7:47 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
So, A lot has happened in these past 10 days. Firstly, I decided to keep watering the substrate, and let them live in there since it’s obviously their more preferred nesting area. Secondly, they have a bunch of larvae, I counted 5, but there are probably more hidden in the dirt/gravel that they are nesting in. Thirdly, I decided to add actual dirt, and I also have added rolypolys and beetles to act as a cleanup crew and food for the ants as well. That’s all for this update. (i also saw 3 more pupae tdy).
  • Ernteameise and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#45 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted April 6 2024 - 12:47 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I believe that the colony is still growing, but I am not entirely sure. The colony is still hidden underground, but I have seen 2 workers foraging around for food. I also fed them an adult earwig, and they devoured its stomach, so I’m pretty sure they’re still alive and growing
  • futurebird and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#46 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted April 24 2024 - 3:27 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Haven’t updated in a while, and i’m sorry about that. I have been caught up in a lot of things as of late. Anyways, my colony is doing really good rn! I always see at least one worker foraging, I also checked under the outworld tdy, and I saw a tonne of brood! The queen is really going to work this year. I am so happy that they are thriving, I counted at least 19 larvae, 3 big batches of eggs, and like 6 more pupae/pupating larvae!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users