• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster Occidentalis, Journal of AsdinAnts

45 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 7 2024 - 7:33 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
I’m looking forward to the time it comes. I also know what you mean by them loving crickets. I gave them baby earwigs, dead mealworms, worms, but no. They did eat the baby earwigs and mealworms but not like the cricket, they ABSOLUTELY destroyed that thing. Regarding the cleanliness of the colony, mine isn’t as neat as I would have liked them to be.
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#22 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 7 2024 - 7:55 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐎𝐌𝐁!
Here are a bunch of photos of my ants brood pile and the queen.

Attached Images

• IMG_4043.jpeg
  • IMG_4042.jpeg
  • IMG_4044.jpeg
  • IMG_4046.jpeg

• TacticalHandleGaming and JesseTheAntKid like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#23 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 7 2024 - 9:58 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Nice! That’s a lot of brood. Man, really wish I had an aphenogaster colony.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#24 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 7 2024 - 4:39 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I had to buy this colony, since where I live there are literally 0 aphaenogaster. I think the reason why there brood pile is pretty big rn is because I feed them protein regularly.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#25 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 7 2024 - 5:08 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I wouldn't feed them too much. I don't know if this will happen, but they might take the protein in too much and have alates before they can be managed. I don't know if this is possible or not, so if not, let me know.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#26 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 7 2024 - 6:06 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I had to buy this colony, since where I live there are literally 0 aphaenogaster. I think the reason why there brood pile is pretty big rn is because I feed them protein regularly.

Yeah, I have a small S. molesta colony, and they have an absolutely HUGE brood pile. It’s only their first year, and by spring they’re gonna explode. Only because I fed them protein though. In my area I have A. picea and A. rudis; A. picea starting flights from July, and ending in November. A. rudis is a August to November flyer. I found an A. picea queen under a rock a year ago. Really should have caught her.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 7 2024 - 6:11 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#27 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 7 2024 - 6:08 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I wouldn't feed them too much. I don't know if this will happen, but they might take the protein in too much and have alates before they can be managed. I don't know if this is possible or not, so if not, let me know.

I mean, from what I heard, if you feed them a lot, then they might get Majors (at least for the genus of camponotus; usually occurs in founding) but haven’t heard of alates, especially form such a young colony. They usually get alates when the colony is mature (like a year or two old).

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#28 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 7 2024 - 8:07 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

I mean, from what I heard, if you feed them a lot, then they might get Majors (at least for the genus of camponotus; usually occurs in founding) but haven’t heard of alates, especially form such a young colony. They usually get alates when the colony is mature (like a year or two old).
Aphaenogaster Occidentalis can inbreed in their nest, they start producing alates at around 20-30 workers, IF the colony is over fed, in which is my plan 😁
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#29 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 7 2024 - 8:08 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

This is actually my exact plan, I’m trying to get them alates as early as possible so they have backup queens if the main one dies. In Aphaenogaster Occidentalis, inbreeding can occur at 20-30 workers if the colony is fed plenty and there is enough space.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#30 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 8 2024 - 4:43 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Aphaenogaster Occidentalis can inbreed in their nest, they start producing alates at around 20-30 workers, IF the colony is over fed, in which is my plan
Wow, that's really cool; I Never new that. You have a very good point. S. molesta can also do the same, or in breed, but only with about 50 workers or more, or when they get alates (probably until maturity though). But they are very widespread in my area, and are the only species in the genus Solonopsis in my area (at least for now) but that could probably mean that they get alates earlier.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#31 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 15 2024 - 3:28 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
𝐁𝐈𝐆 𝐔𝐏𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄!
THEY GOT THEIR FURST PUPA!! 🥳🥳 I’m pretty sure that all the other larvae are gonna pupate soon since they stopped eating.
  • TacticalHandleGaming and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#32 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 15 2024 - 4:42 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

!
THEY GOT THEIR FURST PUPA!! I’m pretty sure that all the other larvae are gonna pupate soon since they stopped eating.

They grow pretty quick after they get about 50ish workers. You are going to have fun!

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#33 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 15 2024 - 5:58 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

!
THEY GOT THEIR FURST PUPA!! I’m pretty sure that all the other larvae are gonna pupate soon since they stopped eating.

Congrats! Hope they do well in the following weeks!

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 15 2024 - 5:58 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#34 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 16 2024 - 9:43 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

!

They grow pretty quick after they get about 50ish workers. You are going to have fun!
I’m pretty scared for that to come 😨

!

Congrats! Hope they do well in the following weeks!
thanks!

Edited by AsdinAnts, February 16 2024 - 9:43 AM.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#35 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 16 2024 - 11:46 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Aphaenogaster Occidentalis can inbreed in their nest, they start producing alates at around 20-30 workers, IF the colony is over fed, in which is my plan

Le immortal ant colony buddies!

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#36 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 16 2024 - 1:37 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Le immortal ant colony buddies!
I’m pretty sure I’ll need to buy another queen or two because I’m not sure if A. occidentalis are able to completely like make their genes different like black crazy ants are.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#37 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 19 2024 - 6:20 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Three more larvae have started to pupate, which means we’ll have 4 pupae in total! 🎉 The queen (maybe some of the workers aswell) have laid a lot more eggs, what I find strange though is that little to none of them have hatched and it’s been like 2-3 weeks. The eggs may just be food for the queen/next gen of workers? not sure.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#38 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 19 2024 - 8:20 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

The eggs make no sense, considering they've been fed protein extensively, and that eggs aren't exactly a cure for a sweet tooth. Maybe check the conditions of the nest, something might be wrong. But about the pupae.

Yay!! Four pupae now! Let us know when they start coloring.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#39 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 21 2024 - 7:42 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I’ll let you guys know when they start coloring, by the way, the temperatures are usually around 62-63 degrees, but sometimes my room goes to 77-78 degrees. When the temperature in my room is high, it’s because of my heater. My heater is usually on when i’m home but when I’m not home it gets to the 60’s in my room. Just gotta let you know about the temperature that they go through most of the time.
  • JesseTheAntKid and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#40 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 26 2024 - 8:54 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Here are some pictures of the brood pile, you can even see one of the pupae’s eyes!

Attached Images

• IMG_4403.jpeg
  • IMG_4400.jpeg

• TacticalHandleGaming and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users