• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How I Grow Bonsai Trees by RPT

bonsai pruning maples junipers trees

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rptraut - Posted December 19 2023 - 12:15 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

You may have noticed that I use a picture of a bonsai tree as my thumbnail and wondered why?  If you would like to see how I grow bonsai trees, check out this video   

Ant keeping is really only a recent obsession of mine, I've grown bonsai trees in one form or another for almost my entire life.  

ps

Did you ever have a moment when you were typing away and looked up and realized that whatever key it was that you hit by mistake has propelled your composition into another realm where it will never be seen again?   I'm not lost but my original writing certainly is.............

Please enjoy the video.

RPT   

Edited by rptraut, December 19 2023 - 12:29 AM.

• ANTdrew, UtahAnts, ISpeakForTheTrees and 3 others like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#2 Offline ZATrippit - Posted December 19 2023 - 12:16 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Houston, we've lost him...

Edit: okay, you've fixed it.

Edited by ZATrippit, December 19 2023 - 1:33 AM.

FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 19 2023 - 6:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I loved the video. Thank you, rptraut!
  • rptraut and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline ISpeakForTheTrees - Posted December 19 2023 - 9:21 AM

ISpeakForTheTrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Love bonsais myself (though I'm a lot better at maintaining grown ones than I am at growing new ones from seed so far).

This got me wondering though about ant plants in the ant-keeping hobby; I know some people keep bonsai/bonsai-staged ant plants, and I wonder if you could use them to keep a small to medium size colony of ants in a naturalistic setup.

Anyway, great stuff and some lovely bonsais you've got there!

#5 Offline rptraut - Posted December 19 2023 - 9:33 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Coming Soon - Ecosystem on a Plant Stand - starring ants, bonsai trees and scale insects ( honeydew too)
RPT
  • ANTdrew, UtahAnts, ISpeakForTheTrees and 3 others like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#6 Offline 100lols - Posted December 19 2023 - 12:30 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
This video is right on time. My passion for bonsai started a few years back and within the last few months, bonsai has become a hyperfixation again for me. This year I have finally ventured into Japanese maples and gotten more serious about my art.

You did a great job explaining bonsai in your video. It's always a jewel when you get to learn from an experienced grower. Your trees look amazing!!! I would love to see more bonsai content from you.
  • rptraut likes this

#7 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 19 2023 - 3:08 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Always loved the idea of having some fruit-bearing bonsai. Thanks for sharing your video!

#8 Offline Locness - Posted December 19 2023 - 11:38 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Very nice, I'm into bonsai as well. Looking to shape some jade plants since they grow so quickly and are so forgiving.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bonsai, pruning, maples, junipers, trees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users