• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis xyloni journal

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:26 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Ok but how is she doing? Does she have workers yet?

No
And wdym she? It's two queens
Oh, and sorry for the mistake

i will no longer be posting on formiculture. As of 2/5/24, i was forced to kill my ant queens and throw away my ant things by my grandmother. Goodbye.
I might come back, who knows.

What the hell??
I am fine, but unfortunately, my ants are not in the same situation.
What in the absolute hell?? How did it happen? Why did she force you to do that
Because i TOLD HER i was going out looking for ants, she said it was fine, and then got mad when i actually went out and looked
why the hell would she get mad about it? Did she not go play outside as a kid?

#42 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:29 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Because i TOLD HER i was going out looking for ants, she said it was fine, and then got mad when i actually went out and looked

she had an abusive father, so i guess she's taking it out on me

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#43 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:33 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

she had an abusive father, so i guess she's taking it out on me
Jesus christ

#44 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 6 2024 - 6:02 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

i will no longer be posting on formiculture. As of 2/5/24, i was forced to kill my ant queens and throw away my ant things by my grandmother. Goodbye.

I might come back, who knows.

This too almost happened to me, so I somewhat understand what you might be going through. My parents recently (and temporarily banned me) from catching and selling ants, as well as forcing me to kill all of the termites in my possession (which I planned to resell or use as feeders). Not saying that I can compare to you in any way possible, as your punishment was much more severe, but I would like to at least try to help from my experience and POV.

Communication is key. This was a tip I took that had a great impact on talking with my parents. I'd advise you to sit down and have a talk with your grandmother, to try to find out what exactly is the problem. Respect to her should be kept in mind, if she seems like the type to easily shut you down based on your tone. Asking her questions about why she made you kill your ants would get down to the core of the problem. Is it that she straight-up dislikes ants, or is it something more along the lines of avoiding any potential danger to her household? Regardless, understanding her perspective on the matter may help in negotiations, so I'd highly recommend that. 

The way my problem was resolved was that: I was able to resume catching and selling ants, with education kept at a priority (because they were concerned that my education was at risk due to the time spent on the hobby). I was still unable to capture termites to keep, but that didn't really matter as much as continuing antkeeping as a hobby.

Of course, the whole conversation may be pointless in the end if your grandmother still hates ants. HOWEVER, at the very least, both sides will have a better understanding of each other. This could help in the future if you decide to talk to your grandmother again. 

Jesse, please don't hesitate to ask us for anything, as we may be able to (at the very least) relate to our personal experiences to somehow assist on the matter. 

Sincerely (and from a fellow antkeeping kid),

bmb1bee

• rptraut and Artisan_Ants like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users