• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis xyloni journal

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted January 18 2024 - 4:15 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
You can still feed the queens, I would rather feed them before they get workers then feed them when they get workers because solenopsis xyloni nanitics are TINY. (I'm talkin abt like honey or anything that they could drown in.) protein is fine

Edited by AsdinAnts, January 18 2024 - 4:15 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#22 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted January 19 2024 - 5:45 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
wait feed them? They're fully claustral.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#23 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted January 19 2024 - 7:53 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I know, but it may still help them in the long run.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#24 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted January 23 2024 - 10:18 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

I mean no offense to AsdinAnts, but feeding her protein/honey will just stress her out. Even if nanitics are tiny, just feed tiny portions. They are fully claustral, so there is no point.

#25 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted January 23 2024 - 2:55 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
no offense taken, i’m js saying cause I usually do that with my queens.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#26 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted January 23 2024 - 6:43 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Some bad news. One queen died. She was at the cotton, hunched over. The other two are fine tho, with more larvae.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#27 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted January 23 2024 - 7:23 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
you should try to heat them, also give the deads queen larvae to one of the two surviving ones/split it evenly between the two queens.
edit: nvm i js remembered that you put all three of them together

Edited by AsdinAnts, January 25 2024 - 7:53 AM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#28 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted February 4 2024 - 10:17 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Any updates on this?

Hit us with some neat pictures / videos too when you have to chance and good luck with your two remaining Queen ants.

I know some of you guys might get annoyed at me asking for pictures, but pictures worth a thousand words and it's always interesting to SEE what you guys are up to with your colonies :D

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#29 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 5 2024 - 1:24 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Update:

They're doing awesome. Huge batch of eggs and some big larvae.

#30 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 5 2024 - 6:49 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I had a solenopsis invicta queen like two days ago, but when I came back she was dead 😥
edit: Did you mix the two S. xyloni queens together? S. xyloni isn’t polygynous and after the nanitics come, one or both of the queens may end up dying.

Edited by AsdinAnts, February 5 2024 - 7:15 AM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#31 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 5 2024 - 2:02 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I had a solenopsis invicta queen like two days ago, but when I came back she was dead
edit: Did you mix the two S. xyloni queens together? S. xyloni isn’t polygynous and after the nanitics come, one or both of the queens may end up dying.

Wait NEVER???????

#32 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 5 2024 - 2:34 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Ok but how is she doing? Does she have workers yet?

#33 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 5 2024 - 2:41 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

No

And wdym she? It's two queens

#34 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 5 2024 - 3:08 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

I had a solenopsis invicta queen like two days ago, but when I came back she was dead

Wait NEVER???????
wait wdym by wait never?

Edited by AsdinAnts, February 5 2024 - 3:08 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#35 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 5 2024 - 6:26 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

i will no longer be posting on formiculture. As of 2/5/24, i was forced to kill my ant queens and throw away my ant things by my grandmother. Goodbye.

I might come back, who knows.

#36 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 6 2024 - 4:38 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

i will no longer be posting on formiculture. As of 2/5/24, i was forced to kill my ant queens and throw away my ant things by my grandmother. Goodbye.

Sorry about that. Just release them.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#37 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:15 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

No
Oh, and sorry for the mistake

What the hell??

#38 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:17 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

No

What the hell??

I am fine, but unfortunately, my ants are not in the same situation.

#39 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:21 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

No

What the hell??
What in the absolute hell?? How did it happen? Why did she force you to do that

#40 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 6 2024 - 5:23 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

No

What the hell??
What in the absolute hell?? How did it happen? Why did she force you to do that

Because i TOLD HER i was going out looking for ants, she said it was fine, and then got mad when i actually went out and looked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users