• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Immigrans Journey to 30,000 Workers

tetramorium immigrans

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Invix - Posted November 27 2023 - 6:59 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Almost 2 Months ago, I caught a Late-flying Tetramorium Immigrans queen in Charlottesville, Virginia. I have recorded the first weeks after and I plan to update at the end of every month or week.

Week 1- 15-25 Eggs!
Week 2- 30+ very small larvae and about 10 Large
Week 3- First callow nanitic! 12 pupae will awake soon
Week 4- All 12 pupae awake except one, I think she is dead. Queen is laying more eggs and seems to not feed the larvae as they have been the same size for a week.
Week 5- The “dead” worker awoke sometime after my last checkup and there is 13 workers, and some larvae are now turning into white pupae.
Week 6- 60+ eggs, and about 30 larvae, 5 pupae, and still 13 workers
Week 7- Most of the eggs disappeared and some larvae started pupating. About 15 eggs, 30 big larvae, about 10 small larvae, and 7 young pupae. The queen is going into a slightly-slow egg-laying diapause because of winter. I got a picture! (Sorry for bad quality, please tell me if I posted it right because it’s a file and I’m on mobile)

Attached Images

• 1E61842B-1972-4159-A7D1-6C2F585F74C8.jpeg

Edited by Invix, November 28 2023 - 8:26 AM.

• 100lols likes this

#2 Offline Invix - Posted November 27 2023 - 7:34 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I WILL update this every month and it WILL be the longest and most on-going Tetramorium Immigrans journal on this forum. I have many other colonies of immigrans with the largest at around 1000, but I had one with MULTIPLE queens(about 8) and 20,000-50,000 workers that died after 3 years.
  • 100lols likes this

#3 Offline Invix - Posted November 28 2023 - 8:27 AM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Please tell me how to post another photo:) I can't figure it out, I have two new callow workers and they are very cute.

#4 Offline antsinvirgina - Posted November 28 2023 - 9:14 AM

antsinvirgina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSpringfield

search for the topic 

How to post photos properly by James C. Trager 
  • 100lols likes this

#5 Offline Invix - Posted November 28 2023 - 9:46 AM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
https://flic.kr/p/2pit66g
  • 100lols likes this

#6 Offline 100lols - Posted December 4 2023 - 12:21 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Tapatalk app also makes uploading images easy.

Looking good so far!!

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 4 2023 - 1:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This site is easy: https://postimages.o...google_vignette
Copy and paste the hotlink for forums and the image will show in your thread without any links to click.
  • rptraut likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Invix - Posted December 6 2023 - 5:12 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I figured out the photos

Edited by Invix, December 13 2023 - 12:42 PM.

• rptraut likes this

#9 Offline Invix - Posted December 6 2023 - 5:24 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Week 8: 8-E9-A063-F-B2-BB-46-D5-A773-03357-C1225
There is 5 new workers, making 18 the new amount of workers. There is about 30 big larvae still, 2 pupae about to wake up, 6 young pupae, and some egg piles hidden in the cotton ball out of frame. I also connected them to a an AC nest extension (I forgot what it’s called but I’m using it as a mini-outworld). I dropped a gutted mealworm and some nectar in the outworld. It took about 3 days for the ants to get brave enough to venture out into the outworld, but since then I have seen almost always a worker drinking out of the anoma nectar. However, I have not seen the ants touch the mealworm guts yet even though they have mostly larvae which need mainly protein to grow. I also caught the queen lay an egg but was unable to record because of how fast the egglaying process is.

Edited by Invix, December 13 2023 - 12:42 PM.

• rptraut and 100lols like this

#10 Offline Invix - Posted December 13 2023 - 12:40 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Week 9:
IMG-1735.jpg

There is 2 new workers making 20 workers total now. The new 2 workers are slightly bigger than the original 2 generations of nanitics. They are eating a centimeter of a superworm every week. Many of the big larvae turned into young, white pupae. I estimate 20 young pupae, 2 mature pupae, about 20-50 small larvae, and at least 50 eggs. I'm moving from virginia to colorado soon, with my 7 small and 3 large ant colonies.

Edited by Invix, December 13 2023 - 12:45 PM.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 13 2023 - 12:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It is illegal to transport ants across state lines without permits.
  • Full_Frontal_Yeti and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline Invix - Posted December 19 2023 - 7:34 AM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Week 10:
IMG-1829.jpg

24 workers, about 10 more pupae to hatch soon. About 50 young pupae, not many larvae, and hundreds of eggs.
  • rptraut and BleepingBleepers like this

#13 Offline Invix - Posted December 19 2023 - 7:36 AM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

It is illegal to transport ants across state lines without permits.

I have PPQ-526

#14 Offline Invix - Posted January 19 2024 - 6:58 AM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Month 3: Lets call it that since I'm doing monthly updates.
IMG-2006.jpg

About 40 workers, many are eating a roach out of the frame. 30 Small larvae, and 30 eggs. So a lot less brood then before! But they are doing well anyways. Once they get 100 workers I will give them a proper nest. Many of the brood is stuck to the cotton ball so it appears grey.

Edited by Invix, January 19 2024 - 6:59 AM.

• rptraut and BleepingBleepers like this

#15 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted February 4 2024 - 10:32 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

30,000 workers huh?

Is that a lot for these kinda ants?

That sounds like a lot for me.

I remember starting my CA02 journal thinking "I can't wait till I have thousands of these guys!!"

but then it slowly went to "Um....think I'll be happy enough the day they get their first Queen size Major ant". They're starting to eat a whole lot not to mention taking up a lot of room AND....they kinda smell unlike what a lot of ppl told me (that ants don't smell, yes they do!)

I just got my first major ant a few days ago too. Anyhow, good luck with your goals, your monthly update is up in another week or two :D

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium immigrans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users