• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving ants OUT of dirt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted November 19 2023 - 2:36 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Hey guys. Due to moving overseas I have to sell all my colonies. I have someone who will buy all of them from me, but wants the dirt setups transferred to test tubes...and this is proving WAY harder than I expected.

The Pheidole especially are absolutely refusing to move out of dirt, even when it's completely dry. They will hunker down under dry dirt/rocks. If I could spread it out over a large area so they can't dig that would help, but I'm already using a BIG tote and it's not worth the cost to buy something bigger.

I can't even just remove little bits of dirt at a time, because the colony is so massive that there's ants *everywhere*

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

20231119_112617.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2023 - 3:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
All you could really hope for is to miraculously find the queen by spreading the dirt. Getting most of the colony out of dirt seems almost impossible to me with ants like tiny Pheidole.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted November 19 2023 - 11:40 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

with basically no meaningful ant knowledge behind me:

I bet they move onto dry land as their nest floods.

If you could arrange some kind of "island" that would accommodate the colony(with test tubes or whatever) and arrange a very very slow flooding of the tote, like with a drip in one corner.
Then i would expect they continually move away form where things are getting wet. Until the only place that is, is the "island" container you've provided.
As long as the inlet of water is slow enough they should have time to escape it onto/into whatever you arrange for them.

• FelixTheAnter, rptraut and bmb1bee like this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2023 - 1:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

If you could arrange some kind of "island" that would accommodate the colony(with test tubes or whatever) and arrange a very very slow flooding of the tote, like with a drip in one corner.
Then i would expect they continually move away form where things are getting wet. Until the only place that is, is the "island" container you've provided.
As long as the inlet of water is slow enough they should have time to escape it onto/into whatever you arrange for them.

This may actually work.
  • rptraut and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 19 2023 - 8:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The way I always do it, is I remove as much dirt as possible, then I spread what's left along with the colony out in a flat bottomed, fluon-coated tub, so there is only a very thin layer of dirt and no lid. I place a test tube setup in there and wait for the dirt to dry out completely. The colony always moves into the test tube within a day, and as long as the dirt is spread thin enough, they find all of their brood and move that into the tube as well. I'll shake the dirt around a few times to make sure they get access to all of their brood.

#6 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted November 19 2023 - 11:55 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

This is brilliant! Especially since the Pheidole have always panicked and moved the entire nest upwards every time I watered the vivarium.

Let's see how this goes! Have about 3 drops per second going in, but will keep a close eye on it.

20231120_085101.jpg

#7 Offline rptraut - Posted November 20 2023 - 1:51 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Looks like a science fair project!
  • 100lols likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#8 Offline 100lols - Posted November 21 2023 - 3:36 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
How’s it working???

#9 Offline SHmealer - Posted November 22 2023 - 4:37 AM

SHmealer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I've moved multiple ant colonies out of soil by just putting water tubes on top and letting it dry out, they will eventually have to move into the water tube if they don't wanna dessicate

• 100lols likes this

#10 Offline FranklinKnight - Posted December 15 2023 - 2:18 PM

FranklinKnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
Any updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users