• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Darth Vaders epic Atta mexicana

atta mexicana

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Offline 100lols - Posted November 21 2023 - 3:51 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Clover is a legume, which are plants that form symbiotic relationships with Nitrogen fixing bacteria. They make all the soil around them more fertile for other plants. Their leaves and pollen are high quality protein sources for wildlife, and their nectar is a great food source for bees. In short, basically everything is good about clovers.

well I know what I’m adding to my garden!!!!! Wow!

You could also start a small indoor garden to keep some green leaves available year round.
  • rptraut and AntsAmerica like this

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 21 2023 - 4:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do it, man! Everyone should seed their lawns with clover. Where there is clover, there’s hope for native bees.
  • rptraut and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline Darthvader - Posted November 26 2023 - 3:41 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa
Hey all, I know it's been a while since the last update, unfortunately not much has happened, just some small growth, etc. Today I gave them a large rose petal and they took it and processed it in record speed, in only a few hours instead of overnight. Hopefully them enjoying the flowers should boost their growth rate, but we'll see. Until next time folks.
20231126 172028
20231126 172034

Edited by Darthvader, November 26 2023 - 3:43 PM.

• ANTdrew, rptraut, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 3 others like this

#24 Offline 100lols - Posted November 27 2023 - 7:05 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Maybe they’re at a point where the population is keeping the fungus growth slow. Hopefully things will level out and then boom!

Edited by 100lols, November 27 2023 - 7:06 PM.

#25 Offline Darthvader - Posted November 28 2023 - 10:25 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa

Maybe they’re at a point where the population is keeping the fungus growth slow. Hopefully things will level out and then boom!

Certainly, once they get more workers I have no doubt they'll start going at a proper rate. As of now, I have only seen eggs, but I am assuming the stress of being shipped has thrown them off. That or they have just hidden any other brood in the fungus.

Also, made a time lapse of the processing rose bits.

• AntsTopia, AntsAmerica and BleepingBleepers like this

#26 Offline AntsTopia - Posted February 1 2024 - 4:16 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

Awesome journal! I too have my hands on these magnificent ants. The fungus growth in the beginning will be slow due to worker quantity, though once the queen starts pumping out eggs it won't be long before you have to get an upgrade for their container. Some tips I have accumulated over the 5 months with my colony is that with dry flowers you just have to spray them a bit and the workers will collect immediately. Also every colony will be different with their likes and dislikes so try to explore your neighborhood's flora to get an idea of what they like. Secondly, if you keep feeding them the same organic material they will eventually stop eating it. This is because its in their biological programming to not make a plant species extinct in their nest's radius. If you have any questions feel free to message me anytime! 

Edit: How do you have Atta in Iowa? Quite a lot of people know how I got my colony meaning I though it was legal but it turned out not to be. And I apologized for my wrongdoing and took an oath if I didn't want them anymore, I would freeze them or sell them to someone with a PPQ 526 permit for Atta. Sooooooooo...........

Edited by AntsTopia, February 4 2024 - 6:18 PM.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#27 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted February 4 2024 - 9:05 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I commented on another journal about Atta ants, they're one of my dream species.

So far I want (though mostly just dream of or watching the rest of you guys keep them as I'm busy with the two ants I currently have):

1. Meat Ant (got my Ecto ants now for that)

2. Sugar Ant (got carpenters for that and I love how they're very polymorphic)

3. Honeypot Ant

4. Leafcutter Ant

5. Weaver Ants (ants that spin cocoons and nest in semi arboreal nests)

6. Ants that have great vision (bulldog ants, Harpegnathos)

7. Army ants (I think this is one of my most desired ant species, I remember watching documentaries on them and they've always been a wonderful delight to watch, but this is just a dream as their colony gets way too big for me)

8. Giant Gigas ants

ANYYYYYYYYHOW

Interesting youtube video. Seem like you got a bit of some photobomber ants too, I had one in my recent CA02 journal video I posted...the ant(s) that likes to stay smack in the middle of your footage blocking some of the view.

Anyhow, nice video, I wish it was a bit more close up to see more details. But neat and thanks for posting, love pictures and videos!

Edited by BleepingBleepers, February 4 2024 - 9:06 PM.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#28 Offline Darthvader - Posted February 11 2024 - 1:50 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa
Hello all, sorry for the inactivity of posting. Some things have happened, like the fact that the queen has not produced any new workers, so she is likely a dud. The queen is still alive and they still continue to grow fungus, but the eggs never grow into larvae. It's an unfortunate situation, but there is some good news. Throughout the summer I will get regular worker and brood boosts for this colony, and once they fly again I will receive new colonies. Once spring rolls around, and they get their first worker boost, I'll update you all again. 

And to those who are wondering how I have Atta in Iowa, I do have a permit. 

20240211 154147
20240211 154136

#29 Offline cutchins - Posted February 11 2024 - 2:37 PM

cutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

Damn, she is soooo big!  :howlovely:  Sorry to hear that she appears to be infertile, that's such a shame! Summer can't come soon enough. Can't wait for nuptials myself!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atta mexicana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users