• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

LF Acromyrmex versicolor fungus (Bay Area)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 31 2023 - 10:29 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I recently purchased a young Acromyrmex colony and the fungus has not faired well during shipping

Does anyone in the Bay Area have Acromyrmex fungus that I could purchase from them? Thanks so much

#2 Offline raydr - Posted October 31 2023 - 6:29 PM

raydr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America

Buy the leaves/flowers and provide neccessary humidity if there is still some fungus.

#3 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 31 2023 - 6:48 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Buy the leaves/flowers and provide neccessary humidity if there is still some fungus.

Thanks, I have extensive experience with attines. I am a mircobiologist so I am also culturing the fungus on agar plates, but it is very slow growing

• 100lols and raydr like this

#4 Offline raydr - Posted November 1 2023 - 4:06 PM

raydr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America

I don't have any experience with attines. Microbiologist as a job that's cool. I think Antopia or something has the leaves neccessary to grow. If its slow growing then I'm not sure how to grow it? Maybe adding more leaves/flowers would help it grow faster?

#5 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted November 1 2023 - 5:51 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I recently purchased a young Acromyrmex colony and the fungus has not faired well during shipping

Does anyone in the Bay Area have Acromyrmex fungus that I could purchase from them? Thanks so much

I've got a little bit but I won't claim it's the healthiest ever. How much do you need? I don't have a lot so I can't supply much. I've seen Acromyrmex rebuild their fungus from tiny pieces the size of bread crumbs.

• 100lols likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users