• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Successful Parasitic Solenopsis amblychila with 100lols

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 7:12 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Hello! This journal is beginning almost two months after the fact due to the uncertainty of success with this species. As well as my laziness, lol. This is also my first journal on the forum. Please feel free to reply with suggestions, questions, or comments that may make the journal easier to read. I’m attempting to include enough information for this to be recreated by anyone.

On September 9th, while hiking at Mount Woodson Trail in Ramona, California, it was just beginning to become dark. My eyes were scanning for any signs of ants and suddenly I stumbled upon a queen. I have caught many Solenopsis queens in the past and could tell right away from a distance that she was a Solenopsis species queen.

ad35239168d7b659f9ace63efd7814ca.jpg

She was gorgeous. But what was she? I posted an ID thread… 

Solenopsis amblychila

eb0dd9c72b0e914181fc6da401ea35cd.jpg

Edited by 100lols, November 12 2023 - 7:00 PM.

• Zeiss, kellakk, ANTdrew and 4 others like this

#2 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 7:16 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
September 10th, I introduced two Solenopsis xyloni workers to the S. amblychila queen(one at a time) from a founding colony with about 10 workers and some brood. Then, I removed the queen from the S. xyloni colony with forceps, and connected the test tubes allowing the S. amblychila to be led into the nest by the two workers I gave her. She’s since taken on the role as queen.

4a6e32e0399fd24482f81df30c4bed2a.jpg

I would continue to feed the colony every 2-4 days. The colony was left in my ant cabinet that sits at 81 to 85 degrees F with the use of a heating cable. The colony's diet consists of sunburst or hummingbird nectar on cotton with pieces of mealworms, superworms, fruit flies, or small dubia roaches.

Tip: I use a small rectangle of tin foil as a plate to hold the cotton and insect bits. I swap to a new piece of foil each feeding. This keeps things cleaner and easier.

My thoughts on the S. amblychila founding process:

I feel it was better to use a colony from the same season the S. amblychila queen is found to ensure the colony isn’t too big to be taken over. But that’s just a hunch!

I really tried to think like the S. amblychila queen… I’d look for a founding queen with a big enough colony to be foraging. But also a small enough colony that she can still invade safely. I thought maybe she would be looking for a queen that started founding approximately June? That was because I found her September. Keep in mind, these ideas have no scientific backing. All just hypothetical thoughts and ideas. There were not many detailed examples to go off.

Something also tells me that it was important to give her the host colonies original test tube? It didn’t seem like it made sense to me to just brood boost her like normal. Another hunch of course.
  • Zeiss, Manitobant, UtahAnts and 2 others like this

#3 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 7:18 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
October 3rd, the last of the colony's S. xyloni host workers had enclosed and the queen had a massive amount of brood! I couldn’t believe the success I was seeing, so far.

I would see S. xyloni workers grooming and climbing on the queen and almost have a heart attack. The thought of the workers figuring out her secret made me nervous, but she fit right in. The larvae were fat and happy!
6a099e38ed640742c959c55012784836.png
ecf126bbb326a385266877afce12268c.png

Edited by 100lols, October 30 2023 - 7:20 AM.

• Zeiss, bmb1bee, AntsCali098 and 1 other like this

#4 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 7:21 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
October 12th, while feeding the colony, I decided to take a few shots of all the pupae. I was surprised to see such a big first generation. Then, upon further inspection, I noticed a HUGE clutch of eggs. Which gave me a sense of relief. This was all going so smooth… unlike any of the other journals I stumbled across.

4f7e977f7d89b9665973bb8ab761dcf3.png
c69b6d44fc8a40f4cb919c543a171681.png
  • Zeiss, bmb1bee and AntsCali098 like this

#5 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 7:25 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
October 21st, The first generation of beautiful Solenopsis amblychila had enclosed. Such amazing looking golden fire ants!!! There were already about 20 workers. I was nervous that disturbing the colony with feeding in their tube may lead to issues, so I started brainstorming a DIY test tube outworld... :hmm: & The tube also has started showing signs of mold as the cotton closest to the water is getting blacker by the day.

6c64f3d07144265707b09192956f1c43.jpg
5ebb0d6f66f35f4ac63b01012634e350.jpg
d8571b36681b1c8decc5a858d77ab21f.jpg
  • Zeiss, Somethinghmm, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#6 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 7:28 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
October 25th, the S. amblychila girls have successfully been connected to an outworld that should suffice for some time. I decided to also add a bamboo tube, as it would probably fill up pretty quick if these girls grow like my S. xyloni colonies. The host workers, that are left, are in charge of the foraging duties and nest protection while the first generation of S. amblychila are all caring for the queen and the young. Typical ant behavior, as the youngest workers are usually staying safe in the nest.

At first, when I saw all the S. xyloni workers separated from the colony, and pulling at the cotton… I began to fear an all out ant war! But from my research it’s common to see “leftover host workers.” I then realized, these girls are hungry! So after the outworld connection, I dropped in a chopped up superworm and some fruit flies on a water bottle cap feeding dish.

And we are up-to-date with everything I have to report about this colony. I post videos regularly of the colony(and others) on my Instagram if you’re interested. Same as my username on here!

3824dfaf5599edc5db1b829665b44a83.png
794c4e488d55da93d8b2bfdbfbd7d1ce.png
0b356c6413f6d01c522d16e77a6988e8.jpg
ac077901d06d46f5fe5784874087b159.jpg
  • Zeiss, Manitobant, Somethinghmm and 6 others like this

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 7:31 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
It’s feeding day today! But I probably won’t have pictures until the next feeding. Hopefully the girls have taken a liking to their new outworld/bamboo tube. I’m not forcing the move, I’ll let them work it out. Unless I see a reason to intervene.

#8 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted October 30 2023 - 12:32 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida
Pretty colors

Cute colony
  • 100lols likes this

#9 Offline 100lols - Posted October 30 2023 - 1:17 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Pretty colors

Cute colony

Couldn’t agree more. & it’s neat because I’ve never even seen S. amblychila workers in the wild.

#10 Offline M_Ants - Posted October 30 2023 - 2:18 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Dang I feel like a failure lol. Idk why I can't succeed with these. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 30 2023 - 6:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Amazing colony!
  • AntsCali098 and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline 100lols - Posted October 31 2023 - 2:52 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Dang I feel like a failure lol. Idk why I can't succeed with these.

Don’t give up!! Your attempts helped me out.

#13 Offline 100lols - Posted October 31 2023 - 2:54 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Amazing colony!

Agree! It’s been so exciting and different.

#14 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted October 31 2023 - 7:38 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Very sweet journal and I'm very excited for you!

I've been somewhat considering keeping a species in which they don't have to cocoon for a change to give it a variety.

Definitely trade off that hazy plastic container for glass or clear plastic like acrylic for viewing pleasure. I have my ants right on my pc table, they're great for admiring and relaxation when stress is building up for me, what about you?

Good luck man, keep us updated (y)

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#15 Offline 100lols - Posted October 31 2023 - 3:41 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Very sweet journal and I'm very excited for you!

I've been somewhat considering keeping a species in which they don't have to cocoon for a change to give it a variety.

Definitely trade off that hazy plastic container for glass or clear plastic like acrylic for viewing pleasure. I have my ants right on my pc table, they're great for admiring and relaxation when stress is building up for me, what about you?

Good luck man, keep us updated (y)

So happy to have you stop by and check the journal out. Your journal style has definitely inspired me!! Very interested to see what you come up with for your next species. Having a variety is awesome because you get to see the different “personalities” of each colony.

I think my home is a bit too crazy to have any ants by my CPU. My son is one…hopefully enough said, lol. I’m draining a planted fish tank soon to use as an outworld in our bedroom. Which is HUGE for me, as my wife originally said, “No ants in the bedroom.” My ants are hidden away in my ant cabinet for now.

My favorite quality moments with my colonies are during feeding time. I don’t bother my colonies much outside of feedings lately.

The “test tube portal” is temporary! & I source some of my stuff from a store called Daiso, where everything is $1.75. Unfortunately, finding the perfect containers can be challenging. Function over aesthetics at times. But that won’t be forever! Wait until you see the formicarium I made for my ca02 colony :D
  • bmb1bee and BleepingBleepers like this

#16 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 31 2023 - 5:16 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Can't wait to see these amblychila skyrocket in population! First time I've seen a successful journal on these, as well as pictures of the founding process.

• 100lols likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#17 Offline 100lols - Posted October 31 2023 - 9:19 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Can't wait to see these amblychila skyrocket in population! First time I've seen a successful journal on these, as well as pictures of the founding process.

Same! Which is why this is my first journal. I really wanted to share this exciting experience and document things for future attempts. Thanks for stopping by! :)

#18 Offline 100lols - Posted November 12 2023 - 1:39 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
November 12th, the colony officially moved into their new bamboo tube! The outworld I made is working effectively and it’s made feeding easy. I used sticks and sticky tact for access paired with some cork to make the entrance smaller.

4e22aef19bb0caaeba7e4f09fde6fe20.jpg

They seem to be very neat and efficient ants. No problems with cleaning exoskeletons and then grinding them up for the trash pile. Wait until you see this brood pile…

7966bd2bc75bd7a50fe25a93ac28bda0.jpg
4d20bdbbd400208036342e0ce11e3151.png
  • ANTdrew, Somethinghmm, bmb1bee and 3 others like this

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 12 2023 - 3:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow I can't believe I didn't notice this journal until now. I should probably look at my own forum more often.

That is amazing you pulled it off. I don't think I have heard of anyone else doing it yet. I just looked at my old journal and it looks like I tried three different years and always failed. The furthest mine ever got was some eggs and possibly larvae.

I have been keeping a colony of S. xyloni just for this purpose, but I never found any S. amblychila queens this year. I haven't really found much of anything on my the black light in the hills the last few years for some reason. Your idea of just introducing the queen to a brand new S. xyloni colony seems like a good idea.

I'm going to have to try harder to get some more of these queens next season so I can give it another try.

• ANTdrew, KadinB, bmb1bee and 2 others like this

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 12 2023 - 4:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Be careful with the cork entrance molding. I’ve tried something similar, and it always grows mold.
  • 100lols likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users