• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 05 Research and Design (Updated 11-22-2023)

formicarium container out world enclosure how-to diy design dspdrew nest tutorial

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 8 2014 - 5:15 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
This is a very good thread drew. I am looking forward to the final version. I think you will do great things.

#82 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 8 2014 - 5:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks man.

#83 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 8 2014 - 5:24 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#84 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 8 2014 - 5:47 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Very nice design Drew! Chromerust are you new here?

#85 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 8 2014 - 6:26 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You finally moved them in! :) It looks great.

#86 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 8 2014 - 6:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well they're not moved in yet. I'm letting them decide to move in when they want. Right now, they're still nesting in the dry test tube. :hmm:

#87 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2014 - 4:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
They finally moved in, but after about a day, I started finding dead and dying workers in the out world. After I was finding more and more, I quickly took everything apart and moved them back into a test tube until I could figure out exactly what was killing them. I had never even found one dead worker in their colony before, so it was definitely something in the formicarium. Everything material I used, I had used before, except for the Plasti Dip in larger amounts. After some testing, I found out it was without a doubt the Plasti Dip that was killing them. Even though it was dry, the smell was still very strong, and obviously very toxic to them.

I removed the Ytong block with the Plasti Dip coating, and replaced it with a new one coated in silicone instead. After the deaths mostly came to a stop, I moved them back in, and so far they seem to be doing just fine.

gallery_2_163_271653.jpg

#88 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 14 2014 - 11:07 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

Very nice design Drew! Chromerust are you new here?

No I'm not new, I just don't have much to say most the time lol

#89 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 15 2014 - 1:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I finished the third prototype. I cut the front off the lid used for the water tank tray this time, making it easier to slide in and up against the Ytong.

med_gallery_2_131_77614.jpg

I made some changes to the water tank. The mouth is now on the front, so nothing pours out while filling it.

med_gallery_2_131_21702.jpg

med_gallery_2_131_213438.jpg

This time I added a little plastic tray to the out world to put food on. That should be easier to clean off than the Hydrostone bottom.

med_gallery_2_131_373638.jpg

I painted this one black. It has the odd colored black and white nest in it, so it kind of matches.

gallery_2_131_47638.jpg

Here it is after moving my Camponotus semitestaceus colony into it. It's funny they moved the queen and all the brood into one of the smallest chambers.

gallery_2_131_614740.jpg

#90 Offline dean_k - Posted November 16 2014 - 4:48 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Those are BIG ants.

#91 Offline nepenthes - Posted November 18 2014 - 10:50 AM

nepenthes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

*didn't see there were 5 pages lol*

Do you plane the surface of your Ytong? (make it flat) Or do you, instead, use a shop saw of sorts?

I love the design!

Edited by nepenthes, November 18 2014 - 10:51 AM.

• dspdrew likes this

#92 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 18 2014 - 12:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

*didn't see there were 5 pages lol*

Do you plane the surface of your Ytong? (make it flat) Or do you, instead, use a shop saw of sorts?

I love the design!

!!! You are back! :D

#93 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 18 2014 - 3:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

*Didnt see there were 5 pages lol*

I love the design!

Wow it's been a while since I've seen you here.

Yeah, I have covered everything in great detail.

I have a micro table saw I use to cut perfectly square pieces of Ytong, and then the side that goes up against the acrylic I sand down as flat as possible.

#94 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 2:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Problem!

Okay, my Veromessor pergandei have managed to chew into the Ytong, and are probably about halfway through already. Obviously MANY formicariums are made form Ytong, so this is probably not a common problem. I have heard of Messor and a few other species being able to chew through Ytong, but I always thought it was the much larger species. V. pergandei are more of a medium-sized ant. I have had my Pogonomyrmex in their formicarium for a long time now, and I don't see any signs of them chewing through anything.

I don't want to design a formicarium that works well for some ants, I want one that will work for nearly all ants. This means I am going to have to solve this problem. I will say, I never really liked having to use Ytong in the first place, but it was fairly mold resistant, and absorbed the water perfectly. Ytong is not cheap, and it's very fragile. I'm still not sure how easy it will be to clean either.

I think what I will do is attach some stainless steel mesh to the back of one of the chamber extension plates, and find something soft and absorbent to put behind it. Something like a sponge or some sort of foam. Maybe something like this floral foam (http://www.michaels....n/10350538.html) will work alright (edit: you absolutely do not want to mess with that stuff), although a sponge would probably be a lot easier to clean and reuse.

#95 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 1 2014 - 4:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Use a thin acrylic backplate with many tiny holes or slits arranged where you want humidity concentrated, and PVA sponge behind this, where your water reservoir is located.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#96 Offline Tpro4 - Posted December 1 2014 - 9:00 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Drew, when you start selling these tell me. These make mine look ghetto
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#97 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 1 2014 - 9:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Tpro, what are yours made of?

#98 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 9:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Drew, when you start selling these tell me. These make mine look ghetto

Haha, will do.

#99 Offline Tpro4 - Posted December 2 2014 - 8:21 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

Tpro, what are yours made of?

Straws, plastic containers from school lunch, and bead cases
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#100 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 2 2014 - 11:29 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Straws? No grout or plaster?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, container, out world, enclosure, how-to, diy, design, dspdrew, nest, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users