• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Could this colony ever be moved to a new location?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ClaytonBaby - Posted September 30 2023 - 12:57 PM

ClaytonBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
This is a 5Q colony of Veromessor Pergandei, I love them, but will be needing to open up space for other projects. These girls are doing extremely well and are a absolute treat to have in your collection. My main concern is tunnel collapse during transportation. Is it even worth the risk? If not I can of course figure out some space, but if possible I would love to move this colony over to another experienced keeper. I am located in Victorville, California. (It’s very very cold in Victorville right now, the colony moves a partial amount of their brood up to the basking area whenever this happens, you can see this in the picture.)40a41bb1fd4713dbf44a73dd3535fc72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 100lols likes this

#2 Offline raydr - Posted October 1 2023 - 10:07 AM

raydr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America

Hey uhm just to let you know, nice colony but however further more towards topic, i don't think you can move them. However maybe if you moistend sand so its compacted and tight maybe the tunnels won't collapse? I'm not  sure. I hope everything goes well I can reply if you have any other questions.

Edited by raydr, October 1 2023 - 10:12 AM.

• ClaytonBaby likes this

#3 Offline 100lols - Posted October 1 2023 - 10:32 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Tough situation for sure! Dry sand tends to be harder than wet in my formicariums. If the substrate mixture has clay in it it may dry hard enough for travel?

The “rather safe than sorry” approach would be to just keep the colony. Good luck!
  • ClaytonBaby likes this

#4 Offline Locness - Posted October 1 2023 - 10:35 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I would get them to relocate, then reintroduce.
  • ClaytonBaby likes this

#5 Offline ClaytonBaby - Posted October 3 2023 - 5:38 PM

ClaytonBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Thank you everyone for your input! I’ll be holding onto these guys until I can move them into a solid nest or indefinitely if that never happens LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 100lols likes this

#6 Offline raydr - Posted October 4 2023 - 3:53 PM

raydr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America

Good luck, it probably will be impossible since they in a dirt/sand nest but best of luck, I wish I could take them in though but I'm pretty sure you arent wanting any buyers right now. Best of luck and yeah like what others say just relocate to a solid nest.

• ClaytonBaby likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users