• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Releasing ants back into the wild

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NelsontheLittle - Posted September 23 2023 - 12:40 PM

NelsontheLittle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello, I have 5 Lasius niger queens with around ten workers. I don't want five Lasius niger colonies though, and I think about releasing them. But I've read some posts where people said they could carry diseases. But what about ant colonies that get food from peoples houses? Can't they get sick too? I have a hard time to understand this, so could someone please explain what the dangers are? And the pros and cons? Please don't let this evolve into a heated discussion, I just really want to have it all clear.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 23 2023 - 2:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Here is just my opinion, but I think the worry about captive ant colonies passing diseases is unfounded. Ants are exceedingly clean animals that even make their own antibiotics from metapleural glands. If you have fed them a clean diet of feeder insects, and it is a native species, I think the risk of disease transfer is next to zero. The only exception would be if you keep a bunch of exotic species in close proximity. This is exactly how the valid disease concerns arise in the aquarium and herptile hobbies. I, for one, keep only native ants and feed them carefully sterilized foods.

Edited by ANTdrew, September 24 2023 - 2:06 AM.

• bmb1bee and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 23 2023 - 8:10 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
To add onto what drew said i think it should only be released if it was actually caught in your area. If its a native species but was caught in a neighboring country/state/province the risk of disease transmission is higher.
  • ANTdrew and bmb1bee like this

#4 Offline Daniel - Posted September 23 2023 - 10:45 PM

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFort Mohave, Arizona
I tend to think of it in terms of the risk v reward... Regardless of how low the risk of disease introduction/spread is (it only takes one oops), what is the reward? It feels good? I don't think it's worth it.
  • bmb1bee likes this

#5 Offline NelsontheLittle - Posted September 24 2023 - 12:22 AM

NelsontheLittle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

. The only exception would be if you keep a bunch of exotic species on close proximity. This is exactly how the valid disease concerns arise in the aquarium and herptile hobbies.

I haven't feed them yet, so that shouldn't be an issue. I do have an exotic messor colony next to them though, but should I be worried about that when I never even have opened their test tubes?

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 24 2023 - 2:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think Daniel is right here. With a super common species like L. niger, it may not be worth the risk. You don’t need to feel bad euthanizing some, especially since most would not have made it in the wild anyway, nor are they necessarily likely to survive once released. It may, in fact, be very unlikely that released colonies usually survive long term after having everything handed to them on a silver platter, so to speak.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline mazmurlo - Posted September 24 2023 - 8:22 PM

mazmurlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

i've actually heard many success stories when it comes to releasing large colonies. despite only being captive kept they readily adapt to their new environment and thrive

• ANTdrew likes this

#8 Offline NelsontheLittle - Posted September 24 2023 - 10:57 PM

NelsontheLittle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the advice, I’ll just put them in the freezer then.

#9 Offline DinoH - Posted September 25 2023 - 10:37 AM

DinoH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Location20882 Gaithersburg, MD, US
I was thinking on releasing a Aphaenogaster colony to the wild because I got it from the wild. But I kept it in a naturalistic setup with some non native animals as tropical springtails and mealworms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users