• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brutal Ant Queen Post-Death ¿Fungus?

bacteria fungus queen

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 20 2023 - 3:07 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
Just thought I’d share as I haven’t seen one quite like this before, caught her about a month and a half ago. Checked on her after 2 weeks to find her dead and covered in hundreds of these sporophore-like growth things. Idk what it is, fungus, parasite, random bacteria? Gives me the hibee jibees. She is solid stuck to the test tube like a statue.

Attached Images

• 78082452-0AC8-412A-AD47-BA3C37967939.jpeg
  • 9FD13F16-4351-4463-A033-746B2342AE8D.jpeg
  • 0539D3B4-C0EF-404C-96D5-B51EBC7A7E14.png

#2 Offline antsriondel - Posted September 20 2023 - 7:02 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I saw this happen with one of my Queens. I believe it is just some type of mold.

#3 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted September 20 2023 - 7:36 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Yeah it's a mold

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#4 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 20 2023 - 7:43 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

That sometimes happens with leftover food in my tubes when they aren't cleaned up well. I'm guessing the mold grew after the queen died.

• Virginian_ants likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 20 2023 - 9:27 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
This is aspergillus flavus, a type of fungus. Unlike some other molds, this stuff is far from harmless, and can quickly ravage a colony if it’s allowed to spread. It usually first appears on dead workers or other things in the trash pile, but can then infect live ones especially if your colony is kept in a small space such as a test tube. Luckily in your case it isn’t a cause of concern as the queen is already dead, but I wouldn’t reuse that tube if i were you.

#6 Offline Leo - Posted September 20 2023 - 6:10 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

This is aspergillus flavus, a type of fungus. Unlike some other molds, this stuff is far from harmless, and can quickly ravage a colony if it’s allowed to spread. It usually first appears on dead workers or other things in the trash pile, but can then infect live ones especially if your colony is kept in a small space such as a test tube. Luckily in your case it isn’t a cause of concern as the queen is already dead, but I wouldn’t reuse that tube if i were you.

I second this, this mold can be quite harmful to your colonies, so id suggest either not reusing the tube, or heat sterilizing it to be sure

#7 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 20 2023 - 8:55 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I had a sponge growing that stuff on it once. Hot water seems to kill spores, since I rinsed it in hot water for a little bit and the colony using it seems completely fine.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#8 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted September 21 2023 - 2:58 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
It seems like some of this fungus is on my Camponotus Castaneus colony's trash so I removed the pile.

Edited by Virginian_ants, September 21 2023 - 12:10 PM.

#9 Online Locness - Posted September 21 2023 - 9:49 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I'd toss the test tube. It's a very resilient mold. Removing infected food or ant corpses does not get rid of the spores, so you have to do a total cleanse, otherwise it comes back relentlessly. I should know!

#10 Offline Tanks - Posted September 21 2023 - 4:48 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

Would tubes that had queens with mold like this still be re-usable if I cleaned them with HOT HOT water?

#11 Online Locness - Posted September 21 2023 - 5:23 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Would tubes that had queens with mold like this still be re-usable if I cleaned them with HOT HOT water?

Yes, should be fine since glass is easy to clean. This is if you can get the cotton or sponge out.

#12 Offline 100lols - Posted September 21 2023 - 6:07 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

I’ve done it. It’ll be fine!

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2023 - 6:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Of course, but use boiling water, not just hot water.
  • 100lols likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted September 22 2023 - 2:13 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Is it really this bad? A similar species of fungus (possibly the same) grows in the trash piles of my Anochetus colony. They aren't affected by it in the slightest and have been doing well. No brood dies, no workers get infected etc. Their nest is also in close proximity to the trash pile, so distance isn't stopping the mold either. 

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#15 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 22 2023 - 8:28 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

My Aphaenogaster occidentalis seem to do pretty well even when near this kind of fungus. Not sure why though, since my Camponotus are highly sensitive to it.

#16 Online Locness - Posted September 22 2023 - 11:28 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Is it really this bad? A similar species of fungus (possibly the same) grows in the trash piles of my Anochetus colony. They aren't affected by it in the slightest and have been doing well. No brood dies, no workers get infected etc. Their nest is also in close proximity to the trash pile, so distance isn't stopping the mold either. 

How big is your colony? I read somewhere that larger colonies are much more resilient. Most of my founding colonies affected by it died. 

#17 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 22 2023 - 12:49 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah larger colonies are better at handling it, especially if they have an outworld. The real danger is when you find it in a colony that's still in a test tube.

#18 Offline rptraut - Posted September 25 2023 - 12:49 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I've had significant losses of ants and colonies this summer from a pathogen that sounds very much like the mold you describe.  I have written about my experiences in a Journal found at Journal of My Afflicted Colonies - Ant Keeping Journals - Ants & Myrmecology Forum (formiculture.com).  I hope that link works.  Any suggestions you make there to help my colonies recover will be greatly appreciated.  

RPT

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users