• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus queen caught in late August?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Voidley - Posted August 24 2023 - 7:00 PM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNYC

I caught this queen at around 2pm today (Aug 24) in New York. She is 17-18mm long and I'm reasonably confident that she is Camponotus pennsylvanicus however it seem's they don't really fly this late in the year. She has shed her wings so I assume she has already mated but I didn't see any other alates so I'm not sure if they had a nuptial flight. Can flights this late in the year happen with this species? If not then why did I find her, or is she a different species altogether? Thanks.

IMG-2335.JPG

IMG-2339.JPG

IMG-2351.JPG

Edited by Voidley, August 24 2023 - 7:03 PM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 25 2023 - 2:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Most likely a nest reject that didn’t fly at the proper time. It is doubtful, but not impossible that she is mated.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline gs5248 - Posted August 25 2023 - 6:43 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Was she found at high elevation? I remember going up in the mountains in Tahoe and seeing a huge Camponotus nuptial flight in late July to early August. I was finding queens absolutely everywhere.

Edited by gs5248, August 26 2023 - 7:55 AM.

#4 Offline Voidley - Posted August 25 2023 - 6:50 AM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNYC

Was she found at high elevation? I remember back going up in the mountains in Tahoe and seeing a huge Camponotus nuptial flight in early late July to early August. I mean I was finding queens absolutely everywhere.

Yeah she was found pretty close to sea level—I guess that doesn't bode too well for her having mated.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 25 2023 - 5:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

We have Camponotus vicinus (all black variety) that fly in August up in higher elevations.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 25 2023 - 7:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

We have Camponotus vicinus (all black variety) that fly in August up in higher elevations.

East coast is a different ballgame. Viable queens flew many moons ago.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 25 2023 - 10:45 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Well while anting the other day I did see a Camponotus queen run by me. I didn't collect her since I have no real interest in carpenter queens. Regardless the two occurrences are very strange.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users