• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

bmb1bee's California Camponotus Compendium (updated 10/14/23)

camponotus journal

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 7:51 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus cf. essigi variant B (9/1/23):

I am fairly certain this is the NorCal variant of C. essigi, due to its head shape and coloration. I'd like to obtain a colony of C. essigi from SoCal in the future to compare with this colony, since they look so different. This queen was from the same exchange as the C. modoc and C. vicinus colonies. Although the others were the main subjects of trade, I additionally got her because she lost all of her workers from temporary neglect. She seems to be doing fairly nicely so far, accepting a piece of dubia and hummingbird nectar when I fed her last night. I'll be doing my best to revive this queen and her colony.

IMG_0296.jpg

Edited by bmb1bee, September 12 2023 - 5:57 PM.

• Somethinghmm likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#22 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 7:57 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus ocreatus AZ variant (9/1/23):

On another note, none of my previous colonies have showed any significant progress other than more eggs and the occasional new larvae. The AZ C. ocreatus grew surprisingly quickly, with the two tiny larvae from the last update becoming pupae already. She also has 3 new eggs, which will be her second generation.

IMG_0341.jpg

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#23 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 8:01 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus ocreatus CA variant (9/1/23):

This C. ocreatus colony is also growing fairly quickly. Most of their eggs are now larvae. At the time of this update, the larvae have doubled in size from when I took the picture just a couple days ago. Interestingly, the larvae seem to be fed hummingbird nectar from the workers, which is shown from the pink coloration of their gut contents. The queen keeps pumping out eggs and likely has around a dozen new ones.

IMG_0231.jpg

#24 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 8:09 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Today's update has been finished! Will update again by Monday, as this weekend may bring something new...

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 1 2023 - 8:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think you need more carpenters.
  • bmb1bee, AntsCali098, 100lols and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#26 Offline Locness - Posted September 1 2023 - 8:45 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ocreatus are stunning. How will you manage so many during diapause? I suppose it would be easy with small colonies. 

Edited by Locness, September 1 2023 - 8:47 AM.

• bmb1bee likes this

#27 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 8:47 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Watch me be the first antkeeper to keep all of our CA species simultaneously.   :lol:

Edited by bmb1bee, September 1 2023 - 8:53 AM.

#28 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 8:48 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Ocreatus are stunning. How will you manage so many during diapause? I suppose it would be easy with small colonies. 

Yeah, these are pretty small colonies and likely won't become a problem until after this year's diapause. Most of these I'll probably just take off heat, with the exception of C. modoc and C. vicinus. Those I might have to hibernate them in the fridge.

#29 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 8:50 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Will rename the journal as well. The title sounds a little unfitting...

#30 Offline Tanks - Posted September 1 2023 - 9:09 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

Watch me be the first antkeeper to keep all of our CA species simultaneously.   :lol:

Hey, maybe if you keep all of the native Camponotus we can crown you the Camponotus King.

• bmb1bee likes this

#31 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 9:39 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Hey, maybe if you keep all of the native Camponotus we can crown you the Camponotus King.

One day...

#32 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 1 2023 - 12:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
California Camponotus Compendium
  • bmb1bee and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#33 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 1 2023 - 1:47 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

California Camponotus Compendium

I'll be taking this as my final journal title, thank you very much.  B)

• ANTdrew likes this

#34 Offline 100lols - Posted September 1 2023 - 10:10 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Nice big update! Fitting title indeed lol
  • bmb1bee likes this

#35 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 5 2023 - 6:43 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus festinatus (9/5/23):

Last Friday on 9/2, I received a colony of C. festinatus from Jeffpbalderston. Although they're basically C. fragilis but darker, I'm excited to cover and compare both species side by side. From what I've heard, C. festinatus are usually slightly larger and grow faster. This colony has a bit of a head start from my C. fragilis queen though, since they have around 5 workers and a handful of brood. The queen looks very pretty in my opinion, probably one of the coolest Camponotus queens I have so far.

IMG_0398.jpg

Edited by bmb1bee, September 5 2023 - 6:43 AM.

• Somethinghmm, AntsCali098 and 100lols like this

#36 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 5 2023 - 7:02 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus sayi (9/5/23):

Yesterday, I traded a spare Camponotus fragilis queen for a small Camponotus sayi colony and some Solenopsis "molesta-group". These currently have 2 workers and a pile of eggs, but I'll be expecting these to grow pretty quickly. C. sayi look pretty decent for a myrmentoma subgenus Camponotus, and would probably be my favorite species in that subgenus if it weren't for the two C. essigi variations I've seen around. 

IMG_0416.jpg

• Somethinghmm, AntsCali098 and 100lols like this

#37 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 5 2023 - 7:06 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

This update will be finished a bit later today. All new species have been covered, but a few other colonies have gone through some minor changes. Additionally, two species I obtained last week had been incorrectly misidentified, those being C. maritimus and C. sansabeanus. They have now been properly identified as C. johnsoni and C. semitestaceus.

• 100lols likes this

#38 Offline 100lols - Posted September 5 2023 - 7:31 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Wow, the C. festinatus queen is beautiful! Do you plan on looking for another sansabeanus queen?
  • bmb1bee likes this

#39 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 5 2023 - 7:34 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Wow, the C. festinatus queen is beautiful! Do you plan on looking for another sansabeanus queen?

Yeah, hopefully I can get myself another C. sansabeanus colony sometime. I had one back in May, but traded it off because I wasn't too interested in Camponotus at the time. Their brood wasn't developing at all, but that's likely because I was keeping them wrong. They seem to do much better in test tubes as opposed to other formicariums.

• 100lols likes this

#40 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted September 5 2023 - 7:40 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Glad you got sayi! I don't see see them on market that often. The quest for all the CA camponotus continues!
  • bmb1bee and 100lols like this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users