• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

bmb1bee's California Camponotus Compendium (updated 10/14/23)

camponotus journal

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 7 2023 - 11:30 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus fragilis (10/7/23):

IMG_1112.jpg?ex=6534baf7&is=652245f7&hm=

Edited by bmb1bee, October 7 2023 - 11:30 PM.

• ANTdrew and 100lols like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#102 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 7 2023 - 11:31 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus us-ca02 (10/7/23):

IMG_1089.jpg?ex=6534bae4&is=652245e4&hm=

• ANTdrew and 100lols like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#103 Offline 100lols - Posted October 8 2023 - 9:42 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Absolutely epic!!! Even just a picture update is beautiful. Glad to be a Californian with all these beautiful Camponotus here :D
  • bmb1bee and rockaedward like this

#104 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 8 2023 - 11:23 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
Not sure if anyone noticed, but I recently acquired two new species from Vern, the owner of Antopia USA. He’s a great seller with good prices and customer service; super happy to have bought my C. laevissimus and C. sansabeanus from him!
  • 100lols likes this

#105 Offline 100lols - Posted October 8 2023 - 1:00 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I noticed the sansabeanus because you mentioned you’ll be acquiring one soon. I’ll have to send you some pics of my colony!
  • bmb1bee likes this

#106 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 8 2023 - 1:14 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Yes please! This seems to be a variant with smaller brown workers, compared to the colony I temporarily had back in May with larger yellow workers.

• 100lols likes this

#107 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 14 2023 - 8:50 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus sayi (10/14/23):

I managed to acquire a large colony of C. sayi from a friend through a trade today. This one currently has around 15-20 workers, as well as a sizable amount of brood. I fed them shortly after returning home, and their feeding response was pretty good; they immediately drank the nectar I offered and also started feeding on pieces of dubia.

IMG_1175.jpg?ex=653ddabc&is=652b65bc&hm=

• AntsCali098, Full_Frontal_Yeti, 100lols and 1 other like this

#108 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 14 2023 - 9:01 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus cf. vicinus variant C (10/14/23):

Also got this queen from a trade. Pretty sure it's C. vicinus, due to head shape. She had workers before, but now only has an egg and a couple boosted C. us-ca02 pupae. Apparently she came from close to the Oregon border, but I'm not sure low or high in elevation. The matte gaster does look pretty interesting though.

IMG_1200.jpg?ex=653ddabd&is=652b65bd&hm=

• Full_Frontal_Yeti, 100lols and rockaedward like this

#109 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 14 2023 - 9:09 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus vicinus variant D (10/14/23):

This colony I got from Vern. These are the black variety, which I had before (but were duds). They have 5 workers and have done pretty well so far. Hoping these will be the fastest growing colony out of my C. vicinus.

IMG_1178.jpg?ex=653ddabc&is=652b65bc&hm=

#110 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 14 2023 - 9:13 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus maritimus (10/14/23):

Also received these from the aforementioned trade. As much as they look like C. vicinus, they are most definitely C. maritimus. This colony has around 15-20 workers, although I might've accidently killed a couple while attempting to move them. Now that they are in their new tube, hopefully they start growing a bit faster.

IMG_1176.jpg?ex=653ddabc&is=652b65bc&hm=

#111 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 14 2023 - 9:19 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus laevigatus (10/14/23):

I bought this colony of C. laevigatus (once known as C. quercicola) from Vern as well. Although C. laevissimus are generally considered larger, I was surprised to see how massive the queen of this C. laevigatus colony was. She's easily 18 mm in length, and rivals my extremely physogastric C. modoc queen in size. Hopefully she increases in size to rank in my top 3 largest Camponotus species in my list... So far the species up there are Camponotus us-ca02 (rank 1), Camponotus modoc (rank 2), and Camponotus ocreatus AZ var. (rank 3). 

IMG_1181.jpg?ex=653ddabc&is=652b65bc&hm=

#112 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 14 2023 - 9:27 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus cf. semitestaceus variant C (10/14/23):

Also from the trade came two C. semitestaceus queens. I'll update on this queen since she seems more likely to be fertile and isn't tearing off the cotton plug of the test tube. My friend caught several up here in the Bay Area just a week ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go myself. Lucky I got a couple from him though.

IMG_1201.jpg?ex=653ded3a&is=652b783a&hm=

#113 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted October 15 2023 - 5:00 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
You have more colonies of Camponotus then I have of any ant.
  • bmb1bee and 100lols like this

#114 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted October 17 2023 - 10:11 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

wonderful picture set, thanks for posting.

• bmb1bee and 100lols like this

#115 Offline 100lols - Posted October 17 2023 - 4:00 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Camera skills are amazing indeed!
  • bmb1bee likes this

#116 Offline bmb1bee - Posted November 12 2023 - 8:48 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

It's been almost a month since I've updated this journal, which is all because I've procrastinated and neglected to do so. All of these colonies are fine, but some are well overdue for a move. Heating has also been an issue, so some are much slower in development than others while some had a growth spurt. A few colonies will also have to go into hibernation this month.

Needless to say, I'll hopefully have the time to update on all of these colonies tomorrow (or if I end up not doing so, then sometime this week). 

• 100lols likes this

#117 Offline 100lols - Posted November 13 2023 - 12:31 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Take your time. Finding motivation is the hardest part :) looking forward to the update!
  • bmb1bee likes this

#118 Offline bmb1bee - Posted November 13 2023 - 6:00 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Motivation certainly is a difficult part, since I have issues with procrastination lmao. This Monday in particular hit me pretty hard though, so the update will have to wait until later this week...

• 100lols likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users