• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID, caught today (norway) bad pictures

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Puddingtempest - Posted August 18 2023 - 2:00 AM

Puddingtempest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I caught 5 of these today, I put them all separate because no idea what they are.  If anyone has any tips for taking pictures, please advise.  I have a samsung s22+ which has a good camera but I can never seem to get the settings right for macro shots.  And the ants won't stop moving.

Queen looks to be around 10mm.  Even if exact species is not known, claustral/semi, poly etc would be useful.  I might release some as I don't have enough tubes to house unless they are poly

Attached Images

• 20230818_113705.jpg
  • 20230818_113708.jpg
  • 20230818_113717.jpg
  • 20230818_140018.jpg
  • 20230818_140022.jpg

Edited by Puddingtempest, August 18 2023 - 4:04 AM.

#2 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 18 2023 - 7:03 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
She looks to be Lasius Niger. She is fully claustral so she does not need food. If you caught 5 of them do not put them together as niger always likes to fight at the end of founding. I don't have good tips myself at posting pictures however putting a light under her might help photo quality. Good luck with your queens!

Edited by AntsTopia, August 18 2023 - 7:04 AM.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#3 Offline Puddingtempest - Posted August 20 2023 - 2:20 AM

Puddingtempest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

oh, very basic L.niger.  I managed to catch 8.  All in their own tubes.  I think I might release some

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users