• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Post all your hacks to ant keeping here

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 14 2023 - 1:06 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Hey everyone I wanted to share a really cool hack that really made me want mini hearths more. So normal mini hearths and other cave like formicariums are always dark and does not have lighting. Well, just put a phone light underneath the water tower and you can see your colony a lot better!

Edit: Post all antkeeping hacks here!

Edited by AntsTopia, August 16 2023 - 8:24 AM.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted August 14 2023 - 1:42 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Yeah I sometimes see it in videos with people that have the mini hearth.

However, the problem is that you can't keep the light down there for long or else algae will grow in there and since you can't take the water tower out, you can't clean it either.

Wish I could put a light fixture down there with a dimmer and have it glow faintly most of the time, that would be awesome ...

• AntsTopia likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 14 2023 - 3:12 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

However, the problem is that you can't keep the light down there for long or else algae will grow in there and since you can't take the water tower out, you can't clean it either.

Wish I could put a light fixture down there with a dimmer and have it glow faintly most of the time, that would be awesome ...

Yeah I like to put my phone under the water tower for just a bit and then take my phone back when I'm done viewing the colony.
  • AntsCali098 likes this

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#4 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted August 14 2023 - 5:02 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Yeah I like to put my phone under the water tower for just a bit and then take my phone back when I'm done viewing the colony.

I actually brought this up with Mack, asking him if I could clean the water tower and also about the light, which was why I knew some bits about the pros and cons before coming in haha.

I remember seeing someone do that and was so looking forward to putting a small light down there. Bit disappointed realize I couldn't, at least not for long. Here's hoping for future design.

I did buy one of those LED light strips with a dimmer, we'll see how that turns out. My room is on the dim side so I gotta have a light to see the ants, enough to not bug them too much, but I definitely want to see them. I got out of the tarantula hobby because I got a bit tired of having a pet hole (they're notorious for that). Nothing wrong with them, everyone wrong with me I guess.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#5 Offline UtahAnts - Posted August 14 2023 - 7:50 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

You could physically modify the mini hearth by drilling holes to place LEDs through or to act as windows for alternate lighting angles, just a thought. Don't get me wrong the nature of light coming from the water tower makes for some great silhouettes, but unless you are looking at ants on the wall or the ceiling I think I prefer light coming from above, especially for photography.

• 100lols likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#6 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 15 2023 - 10:44 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
There's also glow in the dark mini hearths, they look sick in the dark.
  • 100lols likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted August 15 2023 - 10:58 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

You could physically modify the mini hearth by drilling holes to place LEDs through or to act as windows for alternate lighting angles, just a thought. Don't get me wrong the nature of light coming from the water tower makes for some great silhouettes, but unless you are looking at ants on the wall or the ceiling I think I prefer light coming from above, especially for photography.

Have* you ever experimented with this? Genius lol. I definitely want to give that a try some time!

Edited by 100lols, August 15 2023 - 10:58 AM.

#8 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted August 16 2023 - 8:11 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I used these on the bototm of mine(not in use, in bigger top down nest now).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7V2nF8IgT4DtXhrkHJtv

Rubber sticky feet help absorb vibrations, and also lift it up a little.

Allows you to slip a small led light/if your phone is slim enough, udner it wihtout disturbing/moving the nest to do so.

• AntsTopia and 100lols like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users