• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant male? Mutillidae

Best Answer Manitobant , August 5 2023 - 10:29 AM

Yup lasius fuliginosus. She is parasitic and will need host workers of another lasius species, preferably umbratus though neoniger also work. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Koafid - Posted August 4 2023 - 10:56 PM

Koafid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Caught at 8am Central Europe.
Too small mesosoma And gastrer, for it to be a queen, right?
https://imgur.com/a/tWMMXSk

Edited by Koafid, August 4 2023 - 11:08 PM.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 5 2023 - 4:30 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Lasius fuliginosus queen

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 5 2023 - 10:29 AM   Best Answer

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yup lasius fuliginosus. She is parasitic and will need host workers of another lasius species, preferably umbratus though neoniger also work.
  • Koafid likes this

#4 Offline Koafid - Posted August 5 2023 - 11:02 AM

Koafid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So to get her to survive I need colony from last year? that's a pitty :(

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 5 2023 - 11:27 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
No. You just need to catch some Lasius umbratus or Niger workers and cocoons and put them together. It's not easy for beginners but you can try.

#6 Offline Koafid - Posted August 5 2023 - 11:42 AM

Koafid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Guess test tube setup won't world in that scenario? So my goal Is to get 1 small (Guess it's called Garden?) shovel of Niger, put them in formicarium And after they settle, introdukce somewhere close to them this Queen, And just leave them alone And Hope the accept her?

No. You just need to catch some Lasius umbratus or Niger workers and cocoons and put them together. It's not easy for beginners but you can try.

#7 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 5 2023 - 1:03 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
That can work but I found that if you refrigerate the workers for an hour or two it wipes their scent and makes them slow moving. If you get callows (newly emerged workers which are a lighter color than normal workers) they also have a higher chance to be introduced.
  • Koafid likes this

#8 Offline Koafid - Posted August 6 2023 - 1:54 AM

Koafid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
And do I have like week? Or in what timeframe should I try to introdukce her?

That can work but I found that if you refrigerate the workers for an hour or two it wipes their scent and makes them slow moving. If you get callows (newly emerged workers which are a lighter color than normal workers) they also have a higher chance to be introduced.

#9 Offline Koafid - Posted August 6 2023 - 2:02 AM

Koafid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So my goal is to get like 10-20 workers, few eggs, put them in refrigirator, after 2h add Queen, And after another 2 Hours také them off then refrigirator And praxi fór antgods?

#10 Online ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2023 - 3:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Read this!
https://www.formicul...s/?fromsearch=1
  • Koafid likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 6 2023 - 5:46 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I don't leave the queen in with them, but it could help them introduce because it wipes her scent.
  • Koafid likes this

#12 Offline Koafid - Posted August 6 2023 - 8:31 PM

Koafid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, So I have her a little bit od sweet water, so she could replenish energy in the evening. Now i woke up and found her dead, her wings glued by water to top of the tube and her legs were loose. I think the drop was too small for her to drawn and ant should survive 12 hours no problem in the water. Also the tube didn't roll
Can anybody say what could happen?

I don't leave the queen in with them, but it could help them introduce because it wipes her scent.

#13 Online ANTdrew - Posted August 7 2023 - 3:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
These parasites have a high mortality rate.
  • Koafid likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users