• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello form the Central Valley.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted January 20 2014 - 12:33 AM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA, California
Hello, I to am a ant keeper, I also keep termites and other Arthropoda. Also have a question, I think I read the rules right, but does the one of the rules mean what I think it mean and that is that we have to be write in correct spelling and punctuation or can we write the same way I write in other forums. I'm just trying to confirm this I have nothing against this, if anything I think this will improve my writing.

I am quit fascinated with all insects alike especially with the eusocial insects. I have done extensive research on all insects I can think of. I've read books to forum threads. I have been lurking in the ant farm Yuku forum. I also think the hive mind of the eusocial insect as remarkable. Imagine being against a enemy that is more ant then man having a exoskeleton, having formidable weaponry attached to there body, able to breed and grow at a rapid pace, they would have no remorse, thinking as one mind, these attributes is what makes them virtually unstoppable.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted January 20 2014 - 7:15 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome.  :D

We aren't that strict on spelling, it was written as an inside joke between a number of members from another forum.

What ant colonies do you have?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2014 - 7:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome to the forum. As long as you are speaking English, and we can understand you, it's all good. We aren't strict about grammar and spelling here, because your posts are YOUR posts. Like on any forum though, I think it's good to do your best, because your posts will probably get better reception.

#4 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted January 20 2014 - 12:28 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you, for answering my question :) I'm curently keeping a argentine ant colony (Linepithema humile) multiple queens and can I tell you they thrive on neglect. I keep them in a container with glass vials with dirt inside the vials. But I wish to to move them in a cd case formicarium so that I can keep track of the queens, brood, and workers. I also have no camra to take pictures but I will try to get one. Another question is that have any of you have any experiance with Linepithema humile.

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted January 20 2014 - 1:10 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

They are not in my location, so I have no personal experience.  They are quite the escape artists and queens mate within the nest, so your colony will grow quickly.

I am not sure a CD case formicarium will hold them for long.  Have you looked in firebrick (fired ceramic), grout, or other easily built nests?

Here is how I build my grout formicariums - http://forum.formicu...ut-formicarium/

There is even a video at the end.

Whatever you choose to build with, I would ensure you have a good layer of silicone along all of your joints to prevent escapees.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#6 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted January 20 2014 - 1:40 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Don't wory about that, the cd case nest will be enclosed in a Tupperware container and the container will pretty much be escape proof. Also will hot glue work to seal the holes or will it kill the ants when it dries.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted January 20 2014 - 1:42 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

A hot glue gun will work fine.  Just make sure it cools before letting your ants at it.

My Colonies

#8 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted January 20 2014 - 2:45 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks you guys, onece again for answering my questions :D

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted January 20 2014 - 2:58 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

No problem. 

Post a picture or two once it is complete and the ants have moved in. 

We love pictures.  :D

My Colonies

#10 Offline Jake - Posted January 20 2014 - 4:37 PM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Hello, I to am a ant keeper, I also keep termites and other Arthropoda. Also have a question, I think I read the rules right, but does the one of the rules mean what I think it mean and that is that we have to be write in correct spelling and punctuation or can we write the same way I write in other forums. I'm just trying to confirm this I have nothing against this, if anything I think this will improve my writing.

I am quit fascinated with all insects alike especially with the eusocial insects. I have done extensive research on all insects I can think of. I've read books to forum threads. I have been lurking in the ant farm Yuku forum. I also think the hive mind of the eusocial insect as remarkable. Imagine being against a enemy that is more ant then man having a exoskeleton, having formidable weaponry attached to there body, able to breed and grow at a rapid pace, they would have no remorse, thinking as one mind, these attributes is what makes them virtually unstoppable.

Welcome :)

#11 Offline PogoQueen - Posted January 21 2014 - 3:05 PM

PogoQueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Hello and welcome! You live pretty close to me so I imagine well be keeping the same kinds of ants :) I look forward to pictures!

#12 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted January 21 2014 - 5:29 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
PogoQueen, do you keep Pogonomyrmex sp. (AKA Pogonomyrmex) because I see lots of Pogonomyrmex but not a lot of nuptial flights, why is that? Also I'm hoping to keep a solenopsis colony ( more pacifically invicta) do you know where is a good spot to look?

Edited by specimen24-6, January 21 2014 - 5:32 PM.

#13 Offline Crystals - Posted January 23 2014 - 6:57 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Different ants tend to fly at different times of the year.  Most Pogonomyrmex fly in mid summer

See the mating flight chart - http://forum.formicu...t-mating-chart/

It doesn't seem to matter whether you are in northern Canada, or in Florida - they all seem to fly in a 2-3 week span of each other regardless of your location.

My Colonies

#14 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 24 2014 - 5:09 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for the late welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users