• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Live Feedings

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ottercl - Posted July 21 2023 - 4:24 AM

Ottercl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPlymouth County, Massachusetts
I’ve heard that feeding Camponotus live insects such as fruit flies can beneficial to them, and I wanted to know at what size colony should I start feeding them live insects? My chromaiodes colony has 4 workers and my castaneus colony has 1 worker (with about 8 more on the way). Also, both colonies have a small outworld in the form of an AntsCanada test tube portal.
Ants for sale in MA: https://www.formicul...-massachusetts/

Keeper of:
-Camponotus pennsylvanicus
-Camponotus chromaiodes
-Camponotus castaneus
-Camponotus americanus
Journal: https://www.formicul...onotus-journal/

#2 Offline DevinTheAntKeeper - Posted July 21 2023 - 6:12 AM

DevinTheAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Its better to not do live feeding. But if you do want to (which I don't recommend) is around 15 workers.

#3 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 21 2023 - 7:19 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

My ant colony is new as well (8 workers) and one thing I noticed with my nanitics is that they're rather afraid of confrontations. There's so few of them so I think the reason is, if they went out and readily confronted live bugs that they don't know about, they might get killed and at the early stage, that could mean the end of the colony. That's my thought at least. Their goal in the early stage is scavenge for easy meals and survive until they have the numbers to afford some sacrifices, that's why they get bolder and braver and more active later on.

So far, I just feed them the bottom portions of a roach nymph. Most of the time when I give them something that resembles a whole insect, they end up attacking it over and over, wasting a ton of energy and not even eating it.

Even if you do have the flies, I would do a prekill and try two or three and see how they react. But there's no rush to feed the fruit flies, you can just feed them regular prekills like roaches and mealworms etc for the time being.

Fruit flies are usually bred in higher amounts, they don't live all that long and founding nanitics can only eat so many. My new colony also doesn't seem to crave protein nearly as much as they do sugar water. They probably won't need as much protein until the colony starts picking up. For me, I'd just stick to roaches until year two when they, hopefully, start picking up the pace. So 40+ workers is my guess.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 21 2023 - 2:39 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I usually only feed live prey to very large colonies, and even then it has to be a more aggressive species that can successfully take it down.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2023 - 5:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
One of the best things about keeping ants is that they do NOT need live food. I’m spending all my afternoons running around with a net like a fool trying to catch live flies for my mantises. One thing to really look out for with fruit flies is mites. Commercial cultures are often sold teeming with trash mites.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Ottercl - Posted July 21 2023 - 5:39 PM

Ottercl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPlymouth County, Massachusetts

One of the best things about keeping ants is that they do NOT need live food. I’m spending all my afternoons running around with a net like a fool trying to catch live flies for my mantises. One thing to really look out for with fruit flies is mites. Commercial cultures are often sold teeming with trash mites.

Ok, no need to worry about live feedings then. Also, if I freeze the fruit flies for several days before feeding my colonies, does that get rid of any possible mites?
Ants for sale in MA: https://www.formicul...-massachusetts/

Keeper of:
-Camponotus pennsylvanicus
-Camponotus chromaiodes
-Camponotus castaneus
-Camponotus americanus
Journal: https://www.formicul...onotus-journal/

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2023 - 5:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Mite eggs can easily survive freezing. I only feed fruit flies after dipping them in boiling water for three seconds.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline antperson24 - Posted July 22 2023 - 9:29 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

Wait, I can see the mites all over in my fruit fly culture. Will they harm the ants? I thought they just ate the food and decaying matter.

I feed my Camponotus colony live fruit flies because they don't seem to eat dead things for some reason. My colony has about 40 workers, and the larger ones don't seem to fear the fruit flies at all. Other than that, I normally kill the insects first.

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 22 2023 - 5:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They won’t harm your ants really, but they’re really unsightly and sooner or later may explode in population. They can easily slip through the mesh or any other tiny gaps and get all over your ant collection. This is why I never, ever feed live fruit flies to my colonies.

#10 Offline antperson24 - Posted July 23 2023 - 6:32 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

They won’t harm your ants really, but they’re really unsightly and sooner or later may explode in population. They can easily slip through the mesh or any other tiny gaps and get all over your ant collection. This is why I never, ever feed live fruit flies to my colonies.

Well, surprisingly they seem to have all died. I don't know why they would have, but I can't spot a single one. I guess I don't have to worry about them any more. 

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2023 - 6:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you frequently start new fruit fly cultures, the mites can’t complete their life cycle and you can eliminate them over time.
  • antperson24 likes this

#12 Offline antperson24 - Posted July 23 2023 - 8:40 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

If you frequently start new fruit fly cultures, the mites can’t complete their life cycle and you can eliminate them over time.

Thanks, I'll try this; maybe they're just hiding.  

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2023 - 9:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,463 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They did not just disappear, believe me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users