• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Philadelphia PA, small yellowish queen or male?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antmom24 - Posted July 18 2023 - 8:58 PM

Antmom24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, my daughter is super into ants recently so we are trying to find her a queen that she can start keeping. We’ve been doing research, but are very new to the topic so appreciate any advice.

Yesterday on a walk we saw a ton of black ants swarming and a bunch of queens gathering on top of the nest, so tonight I put out a black light to see if I could attract any queens. Other than a ton of moths and beetles, I found this tiny winged ant around 11:30 pm. Its head and gaster are darker colored than the body, which is almost transparent-yellow. It’s tiny, probably about half the diameter of a pencil eraser.

Is this even a queen? I think it might be male because the gaster is pretty small. What type of ant is this?

As soon as I figure it out I will post pictures.

#2 Offline Antmom24 - Posted July 18 2023 - 9:14 PM

Antmom24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry for the photo quality, it’s small

Attached Images

• IMG_0214.jpeg
  • IMG_0213.jpeg

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 18 2023 - 9:17 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member