• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tiny ants with majors?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YoungMillie - Posted July 15 2023 - 10:21 PM

YoungMillie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone,

I moved to a new house in Southern California and found these small yellowish, orange ants on my patio. I caught a queen a few day ago and she has already laid eggs. Tonight I noticed them and took a closer look to find what I think are majors along with the smaller ants. I'm hoping to get an identification, if anyone happens to know that species they are. Hopefully the pics are clear enough. I'm in Winnetka California in the San fernando valley.

Attached Images

• 20230715_223301.jpg
  • 20230715_223322.jpg
  • 20230715_223322.jpg
  • 20230715_230441.jpg
  • 20230715_230441.jpg
  • 20230715_230445.jpg

#2 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted July 15 2023 - 10:53 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Need better pictures to confirm, but I'm pretty sure they are pheidole navigans

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 15 2023 - 11:43 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Those are indeed P. navigans. The other invasive Pheidole in Southern California differ notably in minors, likewise with our native species. Surprisingly, P. navigans seems to be the only accomplished invasive Pheidole in California density and disribution wise. The only other known invasive Pheidole species are P. fervens, P. indica, and P. megacephala. The foremost is extremely sparse in urban Los Angeles with a seemingly shifty population due to L. humile.The penultimate has not been known to be extant since 1997 when the only known population was deemed extirpated by Linepithema humile.  The lattermost is only known from a collection in Costa Mesa and an old record from Catalina Island.

Edited by ReignofRage, July 16 2023 - 10:06 AM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 16 2023 - 2:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good ol’ Vendayn was obsessed with Pheidole megacephala in California.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 16 2023 - 5:15 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Good ol’ Vendayn was obsessed with Pheidole megacephala in California.

Among other things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users