• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bleeper's First Time At Ant Keeping - Camponotus CA02

camponotus ca02 mini hearth xl carpenter ants expo tarheelants heat cable tar heel ants beginner

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted November 22 2023 - 10:12 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I turned my attention last week to my other ants, posted that journal here

https://www.formicul...mex-cf-astutus/

I tried to put a lot of pictures and thoughts into that journal. Had to step away afterwards.

But this week, my attention will be back on this. I've already updated the first page to reflect some of your thoughts, what I've found out myself, and what I said I'd update.

Appreciate everyone's patience. I find that I do my best writing / talking when I'm in the right mindset and most days I'm just kinda out of it instead, just dealing with life one day at a time.

But I am happy that I got fellow ant enthusiasts here, a pleasure to hang around with :D

They have grown a lot. This colony could hit the thousands is you want them to.

That would be nice but I'm quite weary of being overwhelmed. I kinda like it simple and easy.

I am definitely waiting quite eagerly for my first MAJOR, especially a full sized one. As a first time ant keeper, that would be extremely exciting to behold. I got one large cocoon in the last week, here's hoping! 85% it's a larger worker again, which is still very nice, but we'll see :)

I really can’t get over how good they look in the minihearth… maybe I’ll grab another for my colony…

Ya, that's why I grabbed the package deal he had with the discount. It's pretty neat that you can connect them, that's what I'm planning to do!

I said before that I dreamed of having a top down view nest, however, now that I've them in the mini Hearth for awhile, I think this is the best view for these kinda ants because:

1. Top down view kinda gives it a 2D feel that I'm finding out I'm not too fond of as I put more thought into it. At least that's what I think as I need to experience it myself to form a full opinion on. Funny how fickle I can be, I was hellbent on getting a top down view, but now I like the side view because you can see the ants from all kinds of angles and it feels more 3D and a fuller viewing experience.

2. Unlike other ants that tend to block the glass with debris etc, these ants don't so they're almost the perfect candidate for the side view formicariums.

3. Side view is very nice for just laying right on your desk and staring straight into the formicarium, watching them do their thing. Very relaxing. I would think a top down view, you'd have to be sitting up, looking straight down, bending your neck. I think I'll try the top down view on my second ant species, then I'll update that thought.

This colony is definitely going strong! I've noticed the same thing in my colony, that they place all the brood away from the water tower; seems this is a dry loving species. 

Yeah, I'm realizing it even more especially compared to the other ant species. I've updated the first page info to reflect that more, it's under Humidity (y)

Edited by BleepingBleepers, November 22 2023 - 10:27 AM.

• 100lols likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#62 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted November 22 2023 - 10:46 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Colony Development Timeline

NOTE:  + symbol is me counting possible new workers based on color and crumbled up cocoons thrown in the trash area, it's at least that number or higher. I do an accurate count every so often. As you can imagine, the more ants, the harder it is to count, especially when some are laying underneath piles of brood (yes, they do that, interestingly enough). I'm tracking it so often mostly to see the growth in the first year. Later on, numbers will only be updated once in a significant while.

6 / 24 / 2023 - Received ants for the first time in test tube setup. 1 Queen, 6 workers, small brood (including 2 cocoons already in development)

7 / 02 / 2023 - Moved test tube with open end into plastic container outworld. Queen, 8 workers, small brood  (Page 1)

7 / 17 / 2023 - Queen + 8 Nanitics, 3 Cocoons, 6 Larvae, 5-6 eggs.

8 / 17 / 2023 - Moved to Mini Hearth XL Queen + 11 Workers + X number of brood (Workers increase in size 10-15%)   CLICK HERE FOR PIC

8 / 31 / 2023 - Queen + 18 Workers + X Brood   (Even with double workers, their protein requirement has increased 3-4 times. Average worker size increased about 25%)

9 / 23 / 2023 - Queen + 26 Workers + X Brood

9 / 25 / 2023 - Queen + 30 Workers + X Brood

10 / 05 / 2023 - Queen + X Workers + X Brood (Received my first worker twice the size as nanitics) PIC HERE

10 / 08 / 2023 - Queen + 40 Workers + X Brood

10 / 11 / 2023 - Queen + 42 Workers + 50+ eggs, 25+ cocoons, 20+ larvae  (Pic below the 8/17/23 Picture)

10 / 17 / 2023 - Queen + 45 Workers + X Brood

10 / 23 / 2023 - Queen + 51 Workers + X Brood

10 / 26 / 2023 - Queen + 54 Workers + X Brood

10 / 30 / 2023 - Queen + 57 Workers + X Brood

10 / 31 / 2023 - Queen + 61 Workers + X Brood

11 / 03 / 2023 - Queen + 65 Workers + X Brood

11 / 06 / 2023 - Pausing and realizing how bored I must be.

11 / 11 / 2023 - Queen + 78 Workers + X Brood

11 / 12 / 2023 - Queen + 80+ Workers + 50+ eggs, 20+ larvae and 20+ cocoons. CLICK HERE FOR PIC

11 / 12 / 2023 - Queen + 82+ Workers + X Brood (Getting really hard to count these guys) (Around this time, they start moving more larvae and eggs to the water tower) (constant protein intake, drop a small roach directly into their nest)

11 / 13 / 2023  to  11 / 19 / 2023   Stagnant, didn't notice any new workers, never went so long without a new worker coming out :thinking: . I actually noticed for the last week or two (maybe a week or two longer than that?) that 5 pupae in development did not develop well for some reason (mentioned on the very first post somewhere) and were eaten. A bit worrisome to see. Interesting, but worrisome. I've only noticed them eating an egg once before this, a few months back. Have increased temperature so low end is above 75 and slightly bump up humidity due to drier cold seasons.

11 / 20 / 2023 - Queen + 83+ Workers + X Brood (Finally, a worker broke the dry spell)

11 / 22 / 2023 - Queen + 86+ Workers + 50+ eggs, 25+ larvae and 30+ cocoons  (Workers less picky about sugar sources and protein. They will still attack whole prekilled prey but now readily accept whole roaches and eating most of it, including legs. Exoskeleton on roach back seems to be a bit too tough and not worth the effort. When they were about 30 workers, they would kinda avoid the top half of the roach and many times just throw it away. Basically, less picky on what to eat and bolder in attacks)

11 / 26 / 2023 - Queen + 100~ Workers + 40+ eggs, 30+ larvae and 25+ cocoons (I think it's become too difficult to accurately count them now, even with video. I can try to count new workers or ones that are eclosing but yeah, it's a mess. Future attempts will be guestimates. This is probably the last time I can say it's +/- 2 from the count. Have witnessed 2 pupa getting eaten since last report; temperature has been increased some weeks back, tho nights can be cold. Also haven't fed them anything suspicious much, sticking with roaches I'm raising and sugar water I mixed myself)

11 / 30 / 2023 - Queen + 103~ Workers + 20+ eggs, 35+ larvae and 30+ cocoons  (Want to make this primarily to note that starting around a week before this, egg numbers have gone down, laying fewer eggs, the brood is still developing like normal like larvae cocooning and eclosing, but the egg counts have gradually declined. Still do see some pupae (2-3 that I saw) getting eaten including one of the bigger cocoons insert sad face. Ants still craving a lot of protein, a small red runner every other day)

12 / 11 / 2023 - Queen + 120~ Workers + 40+ eggs, 40+ larvae and 40+ cocoons  CLICK HERE FOR PIC   (Slow couple of weeks, with 10+ larvae getting eaten, I finally massively boosted their protein at a roach every other day and now everything seems to be more stable. Seems like the ants were wanting to push hard for larger workers, which you can see in some of the pictures in that link there, a lot of the larvae are already bigger than some of the current adult ants. Anyhow, I was wondering if they would be able to hit another 40 this month and they somehow managed! Quite proud of them, what a bunch of soldiers!)

12 / 26 / 2023 - First adult ant death! (Right after Christmas too...was a bit of a kick in the backside as my holidays weren't very pleasant, got out of bed and already want to go back in lol. More about it on post 75 down below)

01 / 03 / 2024 - Second adult ant death! (Saw one more ant in the outworld, this time, it was still alive but shaking and weak. This one looks a bit more like a older nanitic, maybe. However, my thoughts on first ant death seems to be about right, the ONE OFF ant as my other nanitics seem to be okay. We all have our own separate countdown, could be sickness, could also be that it was an ant that came soon after my oldest nanitic, slightly bigger, could be an ant that stayed on the hottest end a bit too long and sped up its lifespan, etc)

01 / 09 / 2024 - Third adult ant death! (This one is most likely a nanitic, small and thin. A few days before, I did rescue another ant that somehow got below one of the feeders and trying to crawl his way out between the plastic and the substrate. Quickly helped her out. Oh and another one that kinda got stuck in the sugar water again. The one stuck between the plastic and substrate did look a bit wobbly / disoriented after the rescue, not sure if it's the same one. Anyhow, condolences to these nanitics as they're the ones that actually got the colony this far, they did their best. So lifespan seems to be 5-6~ or so months at around 75-81F (nest) and 72-77F (outworld colder season). Mentioned in the first post, friend tried keeping his ants at 81-86F and all his nanitics died two months or so back, died a lot sooner)

01 / 14 / 2024 - Thought I finally had a Major  :blush: (Click HERE to see the post / discussion on it)

01 / 15 / 2024 - Fourth adult ant death! (After this, will only record any significant amount of deaths, just wanted to record the first couple, see where the nanitics start dying out. There's still quite a few nanitics hanging around though)

01 / 27 / 2024 - FINALLY GOT MY FIRST MAJOR ANT!!! :yahoo:   Post is here with a tribute video! https://www.formicul...-ca02/?p=235775

01 / 30 / 2024 - Queen + 3 MAJORS + Major Cocoon due in a week + 210 Workers + Brood. I have a total of 4 natural deaths and 2 more by accident as I was busy working on the outworld   (I have noticed some significant decrease in larvae though there is a rather big batch of eggs. Also decrease in development speed. Notice quite a few worker ants just idle in the travel tube where it's a tad cooler. Somewhat concerned and considering a cooldown after the fourth major ecloses)

02 / 03 / 2024 - Planning to do a Cooldown (kinda like a diapause but at 68 F: Discussing it here https://www.formicul...-ca02/?p=235864 )

02 / 24 / 2024 - Reached full Cooldown mode (61-68F) - Link: https://www.formicul...-ca02/?p=237268

Edited by BleepingBleepers, March 7 2024 - 2:14 PM.

• 100lols and Mushu like this

#63 Offline CAantz - Posted November 22 2023 - 3:23 PM

CAantz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Notice any majors/media or larger cocoons?
  • BleepingBleepers likes this

#64 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted November 22 2023 - 5:18 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Notice any majors/media or larger cocoons?

I've had three large cocoons before that turned out to be really large workers (largest thus far). Picture on this post #41 in the worker comparison pic.

https://www.formicul...-ca02/?p=233477

About a week ago, I got another large cocoon, but 85% thinking it's another big worker. I'm still not too sure what a media is, I'm hearing it's a mix between a major and worker ant?

Here's that cocoon, it's due near end of month. Definitely sizable but nowhere the behemoth Queen size major. Can't wait when I do get one like that tho, pretty exciting! :lol:

WlB3dUj.jpg

Side:

Will work on all the other stuff I mentioned I'd get to on these updates. I accomplish some of them today at least.

Was also busy today doing some massive camera / camera gear shopping for Black Friday.

Edited by BleepingBleepers, November 22 2023 - 5:23 PM.

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#65 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 23 2023 - 3:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Goog ol’ fashioned power-feeding will get you majors in no time.
  • 100lols and BleepingBleepers like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#66 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted December 1 2023 - 6:27 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I think this was the big cocoon that I was referring to.

What do you think, possible first MAJOR? Or just another bigger worker?

Here's a picture and a zoom in on what I think is its head, which is much larger than the regular workers.

COME ON, GIMME A MAJOR ANT SO I CAN RIDE HER INTO BATTLE!! :lol:

With luck, it should eclose in about 2 days. Come on!!!

I kinda am feeling that it might 85% be another bigger worker, which is good still, but the anticipation!

Edit: Looked in again today and I noticed a few other exceptionally large larvae. The workers have been craving and eating protein constantly, like a roach nymph every other day. I hope that's a sign!

Tfcjqfv.jpg

Edited by BleepingBleepers, December 1 2023 - 9:22 PM.

• Karma, Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#67 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 2 2023 - 3:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks very promising to me!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#68 Offline Ernteameise - Posted December 2 2023 - 7:08 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yay for majors!

#69 Offline 100lols - Posted December 3 2023 - 7:19 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Fingers crossed!! That noggin is looking big :zoomeyes:

The roaches seem to be keeping them very happy! I need to get some more myself.
  • Karma and BleepingBleepers like this

#70 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted December 5 2023 - 5:34 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

COME ON, GIMME A MAJOR ANT SO I CAN RIDE HER INTO BATTLE!! :lol:

I kinda am feeling that it might 85% be another bigger worker, which is good still, but the anticipation!

Tfcjqfv.jpg

Alright, with GREAT anticipation, I stalked the eclosing of this ant for the whole day and I even have it on footage.

But I have to double confirm with you guys.

QUESTION:

Is this a MAJOR or just another large minor worker?

Here she is. She's definitely not the size of my Queen ant, still on my first year so not getting my first Queen size major yet, but she is as of now the largest worker ant in the colony, bigger than the one I have on page 3 back a month or two ago.

LOL Just looked at the size difference of my first nanitic compare to this gal, she's like 4 times the size, completely dwarfs it.

I have at least 2 more cocoons that are about the same size as this one's. Though they're not due for another 3-4 weeks.

lSNFqMs.jpg

ZaeoHTX.jpg

Edited by BleepingBleepers, December 5 2023 - 9:05 PM.

• dspdrew, Karma, rptraut and 2 others like this

#71 Offline CAantz - Posted December 5 2023 - 9:15 PM

CAantz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Id say this is a media, a mix of major and worker. My Camponotus sansabeanus got one before they died out and you can tell the difference because of not just the size difference, but the difference in head size.

#72 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted December 12 2023 - 3:20 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

FINALLY GOT MY LONG AWAITED CAMERA and MOST OF MY MACRO GEAR!  :yahoo:

While that is nice, I'm still an amateur photographer still figuring out what does what, however, I will strive to improve to one day deliver the quality pictures that I've always wanted to do!

It was definitely a challenge to take some of these pictures, especially for the Ectomomyrmex journal, because I not only had to deal with the imperfection / dirt on the glass, but the glare and it fogging up with condensation the longer I take. Also, getting enough lighting to reach deep inside and to not disturb the ants was another thing to think about....  :o 

It was an interesting experience nonetheless and I'm definitely hoping to read up and improve in the upcoming days, months, years.

So here's an update to my colony!!

(For updates on the growth of the colony, here's a COLONY DEVELOPMENT TIMELINE (click here) , that will be updated continuously)

The first time I moved them into the Tar Heel XL , it was 8 / 17 / 2023 I had 11 workers

(More pictures on page 3)

nHZzAxu.jpg

Here they are, less than 4 months later! :D

Doing pretty decent for their first year!

---------------------------------

12 / 11 / 2023

QyFEYGt.jpg

There's a bunch of them nestled up at the ceiling (top), guarding the Queen, she hates the light and tends to hide up there most of the time regardless. I find it also interesting that some of them hold larvae and egg clusters against the wall, you can kinda see a large egg cluster being held up by some workers slightly above the water tower.

120~ Strong, 40+ Eggs, 40+ larvae, 40+ cocoons!

I honestly lost track but there's at least that and 40 is today's lucky number :lol:

jf1FysY.jpg

Here's that big cocoon that I was waiting on, think it's not quite a Major but she does sit up there quite proudly!

WEqtVnP.jpg

I am now patiently waiting on a few cocoons around her size to eclose in the upcoming weeks, so more waiting and hoping for my first MAJOR worker!

And more pics:

7q6jqJT.jpg

qOnwrcY.jpg

Thought this was an interesting picture, you can kinda see the larva inside spinning its cocoon around itself.

tgO1dWL.jpg

bd2DmgQ.jpg

dggEg8U.jpg

I found it quite interesting how they split up their broods into different groups. It's not always perfect but it does look neat and nice

L0zpsZD.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for checking out my journal ;)

Edited by BleepingBleepers, December 19 2023 - 5:15 PM.

• dspdrew, ANTdrew, UtahAnts and 4 others like this

#73 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 12 2023 - 4:39 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Wow, they're doing awesome!

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#74 Offline 100lols - Posted December 17 2023 - 4:37 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
It's so hard when they look like they should be a major :( I'm in the same boat!!

#75 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted December 26 2023 - 8:48 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

So bad news today, found my first ant death :*( well it wasn't a huge sobbing experience like that, especially since I mentioned before that I lost some pupae along the way.

But my first adult ant death today. Thing is, I don't THINK? it's one of my first nanitic, it's a tad larger so it might've died due to it's own accord / lifespan or some sickness? I caught some of its sisters investigating the body (I'd like to say they were giving her an honorable burial but I honestly think they were picking it :rolleyes: , waste not want not I guess). Otherwise, my several original nanitics seem to be doing just fine. The other day, for the first time, I had one accidentally fall into some honey water. Thankfully, not enough liquid to drown but enough to be stuck like a glue mouse trap. But I was around and saved it. I don't think it's that one either, but shrug.

WUy9rYq.jpg

The good news?

It's so hard when they look like they should be a major :( I'm in the same boat!!

Yeah, I mean it's nice to have these big o workers in there, they definitely stick out and give the place a little variety like "ant, ant, ant, OOO look at that one :blink: !)

Nice thing is I now have a couple of larvae and cocoons, some even bigger than even my biggest one mentioned above! They're quite massive, though I am very curious to see the larvae for a Queen-size Major. Even the bigger workers are having a harder time turning around in the traveling tubes and I took the precaution and got the 3/8" instead of the 1/4". I am still highly anticipating at least one of them to be my first MAJOR ant! Would be very excited!

Like the larvae below compare to the Queen, it's quite sizable eh? That one just cocooned yesterday and I have a few more similar size ones coming along.

T5KSHuT.jpg

(One pic from my phone again)

And other pics:

Here they are eating some cooked squid (or was it octopus?)

sNIGbkr.jpg

Saw this really neat cluster of larvae, if you zoom in, you can see the threads etc around them!

XWbU4g9.jpg

Eating RAW crab guts. Wasn't sure if it was okay but there goes.

aueXUst.jpg

And here's one absolutely engorging herself in it, half his head is inside it. I noticed a few workers doing this. I guess that's a sign that they kinda like it? It definitely does feel like these ants really like sea food, though I only give it to them as a treat once or twice a month when I eat it myself. My only issue with some sea food is to beware of it stinking up the nest, especially fish like salmon.

fIhnSfn.jpg

Here's the Queen, it's so hard to get a decent picture of her as she runs at first sign of a light source. I'm still trying to capture her head feature like I did with my Ecto. ants which I'll post in a sec; you get to see the other pair of sensory organs / eyes on their head, quite interesting!

iD2Jx4o.jpg

Another nice shot of some egg and larvae cluster!

Xq3EfxW.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures and had a good Christmas. Hope your New Years will be good (y)

Edited by BleepingBleepers, December 26 2023 - 8:57 PM.

• Karma, rptraut, Ernteameise and 2 others like this

#76 Offline Ernteameise - Posted December 27 2023 - 8:41 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

You take such wonderful clear pictures, it is always a joy reading about the exploits of your girls.

• ANTdrew, rptraut, 100lols and 1 other like this

#77 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted December 27 2023 - 4:16 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Amazing shots, that camera is really nice. Hoping I can get something like that one of these days...

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#78 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted January 9 2024 - 11:58 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

You think she's wondering:

"Alright, who are all these big a** ants  :o  and where the BLEEP am I ?!  :thinking: "

psI2w3L.jpg

Caught one of my poor little nanitics walking around and chuckled a bit at the sight. Like if I was a nanitic and all my sisters were THAT much larger than me several months later, I'd be wondering the same thing :lol:

vc0GHgS.jpg

Edited by BleepingBleepers, January 9 2024 - 11:59 PM.

• rptraut and AntsCali098 like this

#79 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted January 13 2024 - 8:47 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

ALRIGHT!!

Lets play the "IS THIS A MAJOR?" Game again :lol:

Last time someone said the other one was more of a media (a mix between a major and a minor worker). This time, I wasn't thinking as much until this guy eclosed and I was like "holy crap, look at the head on this one!" surprisingly, she's probably my biggest yet, prob 10-15% bigger head than even my last one.

Now if this one fails, I got 4-5 cocoons coming up in the next week or two that are 20% or so bigger than even this one! So we'll definitely get a shot for My-First-Major-Ever!! :D ;)

SO QUESTION FOR THOSE THAT HAVE EXPERIENCE AND KNOW:

IS THIS NEW WORKER A MAJOR or another Media / Large Minor Worker?

Check out the insane, ferocious head on this one!

TIbQob2.jpg

And compared to another large worker (not my previous largest worker tho)

i0pbh0S.jpg

90HXctO.jpg

So....Major or wait until the other 4-5 cocoons eclose?

• Karma and Ernteameise like this

#80 Online AsdinAnts - Posted January 13 2024 - 10:23 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
on the first two pics it looks like a major to me, but on the last picture it looks like a major worker/just a bit bigger media.

Edited by AsdinAnts, January 13 2024 - 10:23 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-L. fuliginosus
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, ca02, mini hearth, xl, carpenter, ants, expo, tarheelants, heat cable, tar heel ants, beginner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users